First build

Well i am done arguing. Not a fan of all the puke Nikon throws on Intel.

But before i unsubscribe.
Intel is not overpriced and they come with a superior architecture. It's simply facts. And you are ignorant if you don't get it.

That's not facts. Facts are you can look anywhere in the world that is NOT biased to either company and you'll find intel is ALWAYS over priced.

That's not facts. Facts are you can look anywhere in the world that is NOT biased to either company and you'll find intel is ALWAYS over priced.

I think i misspoke here. What i meat by facts is that the architecture is superior. Tests shows that.
If you take an Intel CPU against an AMD CPU and you downclock and disable cores so they have same specs. (or as similar as possible)
After the benchmark you divide the score by the watt used. The winner of this test is the one with the best architecture design.
Intel's architecture is superior. That's the fact i was talking about.

The price is a matter of opinion. And my opinion is that i disagree with you.
But you are free to have your own opinion on that matter.

Now let's all settle down. I am sure pidevildog will be happy with his build.

GIGABYTE Motherboard GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX - Newegg.com

This is a good mobo, but you won't have much room to get faster ram if you ever want to get say 2666mhz. This will handle up to 32gbs DDr3 1866 just fine, but you always have to make sure you stay by 1866.

This is basically what I have: http://www.amazon.com/M5A99FX-PRO-R...26646730&sr=8-3&keywords=asus+amd+motherboard

And I love it. This is it: https://500px.com/photo/97692699/custom-build-by-benjamin-holthaus?from=user_library
Was looking at that motherboard (ga990fxa) on new egg and I'm confused about how many fan headers it has. I see that it has CPU and psu fan headers but what about headers for my four other fans? Also those fans have their own manual speed control switch. Will that interfere with the bios at all?

Some fans come with the plugs for the motherboard some come with "molex" plugs which are powered directly from the power supply. There are various adapters which allow each plug to go into another. The fans which have manual control should not be plugged into the motherboard. If the manual control is physical then the fan controller will be plugged into the power supply, and the fans wil plug into the fan controller.

The CPU fan should be plugged into the motherboard for safety/temperature reasons in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Some fans come with the plugs for the motherboard some come with "molex" plugs which are powered directly from the power supply. There are various adapters which allow each plug to go into another. The fans which have manual control should not be plugged into the motherboard. If the manual control is physical then the fan controller will be plugged into the power supply, and the fans wil plug into the fan controller.

The CPU fan should be plugged into the motherboard for safety/temperature reasons in my opinion.

Hope this helps.
So I guess I need to shop for a psu with theses features or am I confused?

Almost every PSU on the market comes with a molex cable, but you should avoid using that. (specially if you have the option to remove the cable from the PSU, which all modular PSU's have)
It just creates more of a cable mess. and cable mess reduce air flow.
All you fans should be connected to ether 3 or 4 pin on the motherboard or a fan controller.
I see your motherboard have 3 3pin inputs. It's should be good enough. Are you planing on having more case fans than 3?

btw. Some cases comes with inbuilt fan hubs/controllers.
If yours don't, it can be bought fairly cheap. But just buy quality fans and 3 should be enough.

Last edited:
Almost every PSU on the market comes with a molex cable, but you should avoid using that. (specially if you have the option to remove the cable from the PSU, which all modular PSU's have)
It just creates more of a cable mess. and cable mess reduce air flow.
All you fans should be connected to ether 3 or 4 pin on the motherboard or a fan controller.
I see your motherboard have 3 3pin inputs. It's should be good enough. Are you planing on having more case fans than 3?

btw. Some cases comes with inbuilt fan hubs/controllers.
If yours don't, it can be bought fairly cheap. But just buy quality fans and 3 should be enough.
It has 4 case fans. 1x 200mm on top, and 3x 120mm (2 in front, 1 in the rear) and they All have manual 3 speed switches and 3 pin plugs. I'll get some pictures later.

The Gigabyte has:

1 x CPU fan header
2 x system fan headers
1 x power fan header

You'll need one or two 3pin (if not mistaken) splitters. Depends on how many fans you hook up.

Back
Top Bottom