First Build

superbenny

Solid State Member
Let me know what you think:
also, this is my first build, so I don't have much of a procedure...knowing me, I probably left something really important out that I just wasn't thinking of, or didn't know about.

also, let me know if theres anything you can think of to shave off a couple bucks. I was trying to keep it under $500, but its a little over.

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...WishListNumber=7485191&WishListTitle=Computer

-superbenny

i went with that case because it comes with a PSU. I don't really mind how it looks...its going to be under a desk anyway.

I am switching to that mobo and processor that you recomended...very nice find!

It will be for general use. I can expect to have AIM, Firefox, iTunes, Photoshop and Bridge running at the same time...thats the most memory intensive stuff that will be going on.

As to the video card: ive never had a situation where the onboard video is not sufficient...I'm simply trying to keep the cost down. eventually, I will be looking to upgrade to a dedicated video card...what do you reccommend? I dont game, and the most taxing thing on the graphics would probably be desktop compositing.

it is a budget build...trying to keep it under 500...no more than 550

Thanks everyone!

more input would be much appreciated though.

I am switching to that mobo and processor that you recomended...very nice find!
Me or LambOfGod?
As to the video card: ive never had a situation where the onboard video is not sufficient...I'm simply trying to keep the cost down. eventually, I will be looking to upgrade to a dedicated video card...what do you reccommend? I dont game, and the most taxing thing on the graphics would probably be desktop compositing.
The 780G chipset has an a HD 3200 integrated graphics chip which is half decent, for what you're doing it will be perfect. It can also do Blu-Ray and HD playback fine. I don't think you'd need a dedicated card.

Me or LambOfGod?

The 780G chipset has an a HD 3200 integrated graphics chip which is half decent, for what you're doing it will be perfect. It can also do Blu-Ray and HD playback fine. I don't think you'd need a dedicated card.

You. Thanks!

also thanks for the advice about the graphics...I never really saw a point in another card...I just assumed I needed one:rolleyes:

but yea thanks everyone!

again, more input and more opinions are very much appreciated!

-superbenny

The 780G could be AMD's saviour, it definitely is something Intel doesn't have and the hybrid Crossfire technology is brilliant for a budget gaming rig. (But you won't need a discrete GPU of course)

again, more input and more opinions are very much appreciated!
I would just like to recommend the Samsung Spinpoint HDDs, I have a 500GB drive and it's very quiet and I can do everything just fine whilst it's scanning for spyware, running bittorrent (linux distros of course) and doesn't slow me down one bit. But anything from Western Digital, Hitachi, Seagate or Maxtor will be reliable.

I changed the 160gb hdd to a WD 80gb. It will be used for the OSs (Ubuntu 8.04 64 bit, and hopefully windows vista ultimate 64 bit) and applications. the other hdd will be for data. I switched to save money, even if i am shaving off 50% of the capacity. I currently use a laptop with an 80gb hdd, 4gb of which is partitioned to the rescue drive, 12gb is partitioned to ubuntu, and the rest is for all my programs and files and windows. if i can stuff all that onto 80gb, it will be fine for both os/s plus apps.
also, i switched to a more reliable brand, per your comments.

thanks again!

I removed the monitor and keyboard/mouse deal.

I'm getting keyboard mouse from my dad's office, and monitor thru an employee discount. $140 for a 19" LCD

also, i switched mobos

from the one that Worshipme recommended to
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16813138102R
with
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16814102536
for graphics
with this config, i ended up getting more USB/PCI slots for less money. plus with the other video card, ill be able to drive dual monitors when i work up the money.

-superbenny

But anything from Western Digital, Hitachi, Seagate or Maxtor will be reliable.

NEVER get a hdd from maxtor. The only good thing about them is that maxtor is now owned by seagate so when your hdd brakes down you will get a seagate drive back from the warranty.

But the WD that superbenny chose should be great.

As for the cpu... well.. if you know a thing or two about overclocking then go with nvidia. e2160 is about the same price as the 4600+ and it overclocks like no tomorrow. The e2160 is probably the best bang for your buck atm.
But if you are not going to overclock then it would probably be smarter to go with the amd setup.

mammikoura-I won't be overclocking, so I'm going to stick with the AMD configuration. thanks though!

also why so adamant about maxtor...i had a 6gb on my first computer in '98...still runs perfectly

-superbenny

Back
Top Bottom