Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-24-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Finally O'ckd my CPU

Finally done it. What a pain it was.

However, I have a few questions about it.

First of all, because I've overclocked it this means it'll run hotter aye? Well, is this the only thing that shortens the life expectancy of it? The heat? So long as it's kept reasonably cool, the life expectancy shouldn't decrease should it?

Also what is L1 and L2 Cache meant for? More doesn't mean an increase in performance does it? Is it the 'capacity' of the CPU in a way?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis
Default Re: Finally O'ckd my CPU

Well, you are putting it through more pressure and through more rotations therefore the expectancy will decrease anyways. As for the caches, a chache is used by your CPU to lessen the time it takes to access the memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_cache

Thelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelis View Post
Well, you are putting it through more pressure and through more rotations therefore the expectancy will decrease anyways. As for the caches, a chache is used by your CPU to lessen the time it takes to access the memory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_cache
Alright then cheers mate. What are the life expectancies of CPU's overclocked just out of interest?
Old 06-24-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
In Runtime

Oh ffs .. did what happened last time. It works for 20 minutes of half an hour and then my computer restarts!! Sometimes it won't load up the desktop after selecting my profile and perhaps restart again. Why does it do this? My memory and HT frequencies are slightly below their stocks and there's no heating problems. Can someone please tell me what's going on?!

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:19 PM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis

I REALLY want to say that it is heating problems or voltage problems. Reset Cmos, and try again, but overclock a bit lower this time. That problem happens to me every time I OC. Your computer is just saying that something is wrong by restarting.
Thelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelis View Post
I REALLY want to say that it is heating problems or voltage problems. Reset Cmos, and try again, but overclock a bit lower this time. That problem happens to me every time I OC. Your computer is just saying that something is wrong by restarting.
My processor is running at 39 degrees. My CPU voltage is set to auto. 1.35 it is set at and I have the options of putting it up to either 1.375 and 1.4 Max. I don't think it needs to be raised. I have a 480W PSU, that's enough surely... shouldn't matter. Sorry, what do you mean reset Cmos?