Finally! My first build hardware advice needed

JComp

Beta member
Hello, Computer forum thanks for the add.

My friend built himself a PC 2 maybe 3 years ago and to this day it is still a soldier due to him being able to upgrade the hardware etc. I have finally saved up enough money (I think) to build the ultimate gaming computer and my friend said that if I did the research and got the parts he would help me build it up. So I am needing some advice from you guys, about pretty much everything from the motherboard, graphics card and cooling system to the keyboard, mouse, and screen. I have a budget of £2000 and would love your guidance to build the best gaming PC I can.

I know I'm asking for a lot but I am really excited and just want this beast up and running. If there is any7thing else you need please comment below and I will get back to you.

Cheers
vive_vr_build_skylake_msi_r9_390_review_5_1.jpg

Hello there!

How long are you planning to keep that new computer? That budget seem good for a high-end single 4K GPU computer. Are you open for multi GPU?

I'm based in the UK. In terms of multiple GPU's I am open to anything that would make the build better and a 4K monitor is a must I believe haha I can add a little more onto my budget if needed around £400-500 max

And just a quick random question, does anyone know why YouTube has stopped working in my Chrome browser all of a sudden? but it still works in the Edge browser?

I'm not knowledgeable in high budget gaming setups. All I can say is that multiple GPU's is a miss and hit. Games might not support it, support it with bad scaling or support it with 100% scaling in performance (that would be like ~80% extra with a second card). I don't recommend using more than two GPU's as it does not really add something worth it, specially with high end GPU's since even the best CPU's could become a bottleneck, unless one is ready for the possible problems (that might actually reduce performance too) and the little possible boost. And if you want extremely smooth animation make sure the 4K monitor you're aiming for has the highest refresh rate possible to actually experience high frames per second (or FPS). At least make sure it has 144Hz @ 1080p. A single high-end GPU would be enough for that, but if you want higher resolution playing that fast you'll need multiple GPU's as no single GPU out there can play AAA games on 1440p or 4K or high frames per second (or FPS) that makes a nice difference. If you decide to get just one GPU and upgrade to another in the future, make sure you guy a good PSU for that, a motherboard and a case that can take two huge GPU's without causing problems to other slots and components in the case.

Others will hopefully help you with a high budget setup. I never tried using higher than i5 CPU's and air cooling to add more. I could do some research for you, but actual experience to share is always better.

Good luck with your build!

Yeah SLI and Crossfire scaling sucks after the 2nd card, and in some games, even adding a second card sucks. It's also a lot of heat, power and room. You could just get a 1080Ti and maybe lower some settings in demanding games. However, it is a 50% price bump for only about 20% of performance increase, which is very discouraging.

If I were you I'd wait till Coffee​ Lake is settled, and see how that works out. The new I7s are going to be perfect for gaming.

When newer generations become available, the older ones become cheaper. When the 1080 Ti came out the 1080 and 1070 dropped the price quite a bit (about $150). The same should happen to Skylake. I think the best idea would be to get an I7 7700K + GTX 1080. If you feel the 1080 falls short in the future you could sell it and get another one. If you agree I could put something together for you.

I'm getting ~80% extra performance with the lately added GTX 680 4GB. But yeah, maybe overall it depends and I just got lucky given my setup specifics.

I hope prices do go down. For some reason last generations did not get cheaper much. Dunno why later previous GPU's and CPU's are still expensive online. But at least locally here they do get much cheaper if used.

I'm getting ~80% extra performance with the lately added GTX 680 4GB. But yeah, maybe overall it depends and I just got lucky given my setup specifics.

I hope prices do go down. For some reason last generations did not get cheaper much. Dunno why later previous GPU's and CPU's are still expensive online. But at least locally here they do get much cheaper if used.
The main reason Skylake generations didn't get cheaper, is because they are exactly the same.

About the SLI, it you usually won't get 80% increase in every game. There are some that can use both cards very well, but not all.

Back
Top Bottom