Final Parts for my HTPC build Help and advice needed

elohssa6

Solid State Member
I posted earlier in the month and got some good help, so I'd like to try and get some final things squared away...I havent started the build, just have been slowly (faster than I planned though) buying the parts

I have already bought:

CASE:
The wooden HTPC nMediaPC case ATX
(and the LCD screen for it)

CPU:
Intel Core i5-660 Clarkdale 3.33GHz LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Processor

MOBO:
Intel H55 HDMI ATX Intel Motherboard

TV Tuner:
ATI wonder TV tuner with "Cablecard" slot

BlueRay/DVD drive:
LG Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA Internal Combo LG Blu-ray Reader & 16X LightScribe

Wireless Internet Card:
TRENDnet TEW-623PI 32-Bit PCI Rev. 2.1/2.2/2.3 Wireless N-Draft Adapter

Keyboard/Remote(Mouse):
Gyration GYR4101US Black 2.4GHz RF Wireless Mini Air Music Remote w/ MotionSense & Compact Keyboard

I Still need:

RAM
(mobo has 4 slotsx 240pin) Would like A LOT of RAM

HDD
I dont know how much I want here yet....At minimum 1.5T but maybe even 2

POWER SUPPLY
Can't choose that really until I have ALL componenets, but interested in reccomendations

This will be my first build (I have assistance) but am looking for as much feedback, comments as possible...

What do you think so far? What would you get for RAM & HDD??

All criticisms welcome

You can take my advice our not, it does not matter.

Drop the BluRay. Period. The software out to play BR discs on your computer is pretty much worthless. If you are going to get BR, then atleast get a BR writer so you can use it to back stuff up. Otherwise, get yourself a normal DVD writer for $30.

Where are you ordering parts? Check Newegg. They are usually the best place around.

What will you be using this for? It seems a bit overkill for a HTPC, unless you are going to be gaming.

I am ordering everything from newegg....basically made a wish list and waited for prices to drop....I buy the parts when they drop in price and a little at a time...

I am not a computer builder and really not all that knowledgeable....I figured that I would buy the BD rom drive now while I was putting this thing together....and wait for the software side to catch up....In the mean time, with all of my internal/external storage, I can back everything up....

The BD rom drive is less than $100.....I am spending 8-900 total on this build so the extra 40-50 bucks isnt going to kill me....

This is going to be an HTPC/desktop(internet ect.) PC

I plan on running 2 monitors (my 42" plasma for TV and a little internet and my 22" LCD monitro across the room for standard desktop applications)

I have mostly everything figured out, just looking to go in the right direction as far as HDD and RAM

I would like the speed and power to perform multiple functions at once such as sitting at the monitor on the web and watching TV on the big screen....

I also need the storage to save movies, photos, music ect.

I may try and play around with some home movie editing (nothing crazy) so I want to atleast be able to support that....

PC gaming isnt my thing as i only play games on my Xbox360

Sorry to be so long winded, I am just excited/nervous about this stuff!

Just a small suggestion, use a smaller HDD for your OS and applications and use a 2nd huge HDD for storing all your videos/pictures/music and stuff.

I have thought about that a little bit....

Whats the benefit to setting it up this way.....

Can you make a better suggestion on the 2 sizes I would need?

If something happens and you lose the os (like if there's a corrupted system file or something), it won't affect the media drive. Basically you can reinstall the OS without losing anything on the other drive.

It isn't really necessary though...a 1.5-2 TB drive would easily hold everything, and you could achieve a similar result by partitioning it.

For me, it's easier to do backups and restores with this kind of setup. Also, if you get attacked by a virus, it's usually on the drive that the OS is installed on. So it's less damaging if you have to do a format and clean install of your OS. Mainly I like doing it this way because I like to reinstall/change OSes often and it saves time if I don't have to copy over all my pictures/videos/music too. It would still be a very good idea to have an external hard drive as a backup no matter which way you decide to proceed. As for specific sizes, that would depend on how many different applications you plan on installing, what version OS you will use and most importantly, your budget. Me, I have a 160GB drive for OS and applications and a 500 GB drive for all the other stuff. Of course, by budget is low because I'm married and I have a kid, so new computer stuff for Daddy is usually a low priority.

Ok cool....So a 160gb would be plenty to hold the OS and applications(what exactly do u mean by applications?)

I already have all of my photos and music on a 500gb external, but would like to have them on the new computer as well.....Maybe I would get a 1.5TB so I could start saving movies, more music ect.

Ok cool....So a 160gb would be plenty to hold the OS and applications(what exactly do u mean by applications?)

I already have all of my photos and music on a 500gb external, but would like to have them on the new computer as well.....Maybe I would get a 1.5TB so I could start saving movies, more music ect.

Applications = programs.
Like Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop, games, DVD burning software, you get the idea...

I figured...lol.....just wasnt exactly sure....

For the average user is this a simple setup to use?

Back
Top Bottom