Final Build (ordering today)

FBJ

Baseband Member
I'm going to be ordering my parts for my rig and just wanted to run it past you guys. There's a couple of questions I'd like to clear up as well.

Firstly, what is the difference between an OEM operating system and a Retail Boxed OS. I know that the OEM one can only be installed on one computer, but if I say changed my CPU would I have to buy a new OS disk if I bought the OEM one?

Secondly, I heard that ATI graphics cards run best with AMD CPUs and Nvidia best with Intel. Is this true?

Anyways, here is my system:

CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Socket AM3 3.2 GHz 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

MOBO
MSI 870A-G54 Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

GPU
Sapphire HD 5830 1GB GDDR5 DUAL DVI-I HDMI Display Port Out PCI-E Graphics Card COD MW2 Game Edition
or
Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1GB GDDR5 OC Edition Dual DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card
What sort of cable do I need to connect the Gigabyte to my monitor? An HDMI? Mini HDMI or VGA or DVI? Thanks =)

PSU
Antec EarthWatts 650W PSU - 80Plus Certified 12cm Fan 3x 12V Rails

HDD
Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM

Optical drive
Sony Optiarc DDU1681S 18x DVD-ROM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black

RAM
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz Memory Kit Unbuffered CL9

Case
Antec 900 Nine Hundred - Gaming Case with 200mm Top Fan - No PSU

I think that's it. I hope you can answer my questions. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks. =)

looks great but i hope you went with the 460 if you went with the 5830 you shouldn't be building a computer -.-

Firstly, what is the difference between an OEM operating system and a Retail Boxed OS. I know that the OEM one can only be installed on one computer, but if I say changed my CPU would I have to buy a new OS disk if I bought the OEM one?

You can theoretically change all the parts in your computer with the exception of the motherboard, without having to repurchase the OS.

Secondly, I heard that ATI graphics cards run best with AMD CPUs and Nvidia best with Intel. Is this true?

I know that ATI does indeed work better with AMD, as AMD now owns ATI. Not sure about the Nvidia/Intel relationship.

looks great but i hope you went with the 460 if you went with the 5830 you shouldn't be building a computer -.-

What? The 5830 Stock is not that great for the price, but can be overclocked to very good benchmarks.

Firstly, what is the difference between an OEM operating system and a Retail Boxed OS.
The only real difference between the two are the fancy box and materials that come with the retail version.

No, either brand works equally well together.

Nice looking system. Personally, I would go with the GTX 460. You can use either a DVI or mini HDMI cable, whichever your monitor supports.

With an OEM, once activated, it is forever stuck to that motherboard. If you want to upgrade your mobo you will need to buy a new OS key. If you want to transfer the key to another computer, you can't. With retail you can transfer the key to a different motherboard as long as the OS is uninstalled from the other computer. For most users, OEM is quite fine as they will never put that copy on a different system. I ran into an OEM problem with Windows 7. I ended up having to scrap that OS because it was better to run Server 2008 on my server than Windows 7 Home Premium which it came with when I got it. :(

The gtx 460 is a much better gpu. You can often reactivate an oem cop of window by calling their automated phone line and saying that you have it installed on one computer. I did it and it works perfectly

Back
Top Bottom