Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #1
FBJ
Baseband Member

Default Final Build (ordering today)

I'm going to be ordering my parts for my rig and just wanted to run it past you guys. There's a couple of questions I'd like to clear up as well.

Firstly, what is the difference between an OEM operating system and a Retail Boxed OS. I know that the OEM one can only be installed on one computer, but if I say changed my CPU would I have to buy a new OS disk if I bought the OEM one?

Secondly, I heard that ATI graphics cards run best with AMD CPUs and Nvidia best with Intel. Is this true?

Anyways, here is my system:

CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Socket AM3 3.2 GHz 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

MOBO
MSI 870A-G54 Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

GPU
Sapphire HD 5830 1GB GDDR5 DUAL DVI-I HDMI Display Port Out PCI-E Graphics Card COD MW2 Game Edition
or
Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1GB GDDR5 OC Edition Dual DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card
What sort of cable do I need to connect the Gigabyte to my monitor? An HDMI? Mini HDMI or VGA or DVI? Thanks =)

PSU
Antec EarthWatts 650W PSU - 80Plus Certified 12cm Fan 3x 12V Rails

HDD
Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM

Optical drive
Sony Optiarc DDU1681S 18x DVD-ROM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black

RAM
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz Memory Kit Unbuffered CL9

Case
Antec 900 Nine Hundred - Gaming Case with 200mm Top Fan - No PSU

I think that's it. I hope you can answer my questions. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks. =)

FBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Final Build (ordering today)

looks great but i hope you went with the 460 if you went with the 5830 you shouldn't be building a computer -.-

its snoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Firstly, what is the difference between an OEM operating system and a Retail Boxed OS. I know that the OEM one can only be installed on one computer, but if I say changed my CPU would I have to buy a new OS disk if I bought the OEM one?
You can theoretically change all the parts in your computer with the exception of the motherboard, without having to repurchase the OS.

Quote:
Secondly, I heard that ATI graphics cards run best with AMD CPUs and Nvidia best with Intel. Is this true?
I know that ATI does indeed work better with AMD, as AMD now owns ATI. Not sure about the Nvidia/Intel relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by its snoodles View Post
looks great but i hope you went with the 460 if you went with the 5830 you shouldn't be building a computer -.-
What? The 5830 Stock is not that great for the price, but can be overclocked to very good benchmarks.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster

Quote:
Firstly, what is the difference between an OEM operating system and a Retail Boxed OS.
The only real difference between the two are the fancy box and materials that come with the retail version.

Quote:
No, either brand works equally well together.

Nice looking system. Personally, I would go with the GTX 460. You can use either a DVI or mini HDMI cable, whichever your monitor supports.
Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Quote:
With an OEM, once activated, it is forever stuck to that motherboard. If you want to upgrade your mobo you will need to buy a new OS key. If you want to transfer the key to another computer, you can't. With retail you can transfer the key to a different motherboard as long as the OS is uninstalled from the other computer. For most users, OEM is quite fine as they will never put that copy on a different system. I ran into an OEM problem with Windows 7. I ended up having to scrap that OS because it was better to run Server 2008 on my server than Windows 7 Home Premium which it came with when I got it.
Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:03 AM   #6
Daemon Poster

The gtx 460 is a much better gpu. You can often reactivate an oem cop of window by calling their automated phone line and saying that you have it installed on one computer. I did it and it works perfectly

My Desktop: Intel Core i7-970@4.5GHz 1.39V Stable--ASUS P6X58D-E--6GB Supertalent Chrome (Elpida Hyper) 1800MHz 6-6-6-24--eVGA GTX 580--Intel 510 120GB--WD 2TB Caviar Black--Silverstone RV03-EK Supreme HF w/ Black Ice GTX 480--Koolance VID-NX580

My Laptop: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4GHz--4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM--NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT-320GB hard drive
shozzking is offline   Reply With Quote