File Extension Problem

russellbain

Beta member
Hi everyone, this is my first post on here.

I have recently been asigned the task of photographing various historic grave stones for someone. I have taken a good few now and am having a slight problem when renaming them. The photos are saved to my computer as .jpegs and by default open in Photoshop Elements 4(i think) when I uplaod them to my computer they are names DSC000x (x being the number of the photo).

The person that has asked me to do this has asked that I rename them in the form surname_first initial. The method that I am using to rename the files is probably the most simple method available; I right click on the image and select rename, I then type the new file name in the form surname_first initial then hit enter. Now when I do this it comes up a message saying "if you change the file type, it may not be readable in some programs" or something to that affect. When you click ok on this box it changes the file type. I am unsure what the exact file type is that it changes to but it shows up as a VideoCD file and trys to open up Nero when you click on it. Photoshop cannot read this file.

Is it possible that there is a program or a setting on my computer thats causing this to happen?

Thanks

Open windows explorer, select tools > folder options > select the view tab, and look for a bit that says hide extensions for known file types, put a tick in there if there isnt one. It sounds like the file extension is showing, so when you rename the file your removing the file extension aswell. This will stop that showing up, so you will only be renaming the file.

What is happening is that you don't keep the .jpg extension at the end.

Do what Raffaz said, and then try again.

If that doesn't work, then copy the file and try to rename it anyways, see if that works.

If that doesn't, then type the desired name and add .jpg.

EX: Nameme.jpg

Hey guys thanks for your response :)

Unfortunatly I am at work right now and its on my home computer im having problems with, Il try it tonight when im home!

Back
Top Bottom