A few quick questions

meanpeoplesuck

Baseband Member
1. I attempted to install a floppy drive today, which I figured would be really easy. Well, I had a lot of trouble. First off, I know I installed all the correct cables, and so on they are plugged in good. This is not the problem. The computer reconizes it in the hardware list under drives. Its a jumble of strange letters with an A at the end (the drive the floppy should be). In My Computer there is no drive A. I have put a disk in it, and it was not read, however when I hit the button it spit it right out, which I assume it needs power to do, meaning that cable is connected properly. I also just spray painted the front of it, taking great caution to not mess up the drive. Is the spray paint possibly responsible? I don't know, help me.

2. What is the optimal temp for a CPU to be running at? Can I tell if a PSU is using too much power by if the numbers I am reading to not match the 5.5 or whatever those numbers are?

3. I am going to attempt to install a old harddrive as a slave drive on my computer. However this already has a OS and files installed on it. What would I need to do before plugging this in and changing the jumper?

Adjust the jumpers. Put the harddrive in. check the bios. Make sure that the master is set in front of the slave. Boot your computer, go to my computer, and clear out the hd. Or what ever your doing with it.

I doubt the spray paint has anyting to do with the floppy malfunction. If you are going to install a slave drive you won't need to do anything but change the jumper on the main hard drive to "Master", and the slave to "Slave" i believe. Thats all you will need to do, and windows will auto recognize it in "My Computer". You may need to format the slave drive if it has not been already.

Yeah how do I format it, do I need to set it as the master HDD for a minute, while I format it, then switch it to slave and put my main one as the master?

It has like windows XP or windows 98 installed, so I need to get rid of all that shit first.

meanpeoplesuck said:
1. I attempted to install a floppy drive today, which I figured would be really easy. Well, I had a lot of trouble. First off, I know I installed all the correct cables, and so on they are plugged in good. This is not the problem. The computer reconizes it in the hardware list under drives. Its a jumble of strange letters with an A at the end (the drive the floppy should be). In My Computer there is no drive A. I have put a disk in it, and it was not read, however when I hit the button it spit it right out, which I assume it needs power to do, meaning that cable is connected properly. I also just spray painted the front of it, taking great caution to not mess up the drive. Is the spray paint possibly responsible? I don't know, help me.

Make you you have connected the floppy drive to the proper connector on the motherboard. Do not connect it to a regular IDE connector because those are for the harddrives. That might be where the errors are coming from.

2. What is the optimal temp for a CPU to be running at? Can I tell if a PSU is using too much power by if the numbers I am reading to not match the 5.5 or whatever those numbers are?

Temperatures depend on what type of CPU you are using.

3. I am going to attempt to install a old harddrive as a slave drive on my computer. However this already has a OS and files installed on it. What would I need to do before plugging this in and changing the jumper?

Just install the harddrive as normal but set it's jumper to slave (with the slave connection from the IDE cable connected as well). Just make sure in the BIOS that your computer will boot from the master harddrive, then you can proceed with clearing the slave drive.

Temperatures depend on what type of CPU you are using.

Intel 2.4ghz, which is a celeron d I belive? I am not sure, I just know for sure Intel 2.4 or 2.6 ghz.

And a Biostar Mobo, which one I am not completely sure unless I looked on Newegg.

Back
Top Bottom