Few Laptop Questions

mslpanthers

Baseband Member
I got a new laptop today and I've got a couple of questions.

I have a 512MB DDR SDRAM stick, does that mean I can use any DDR RAM Stick or what.

Also, can I use any HDD in my laptop, like the one i use in my PC?

And, how can I transfer what is already on my laptop HDD to a new HDD?

also is my current setup good for gaming on my laptop

AMD Sempron 3000+
512 DDR SDRAN
40GB HDD
32 ATI Radeon Xpress 200m

As far as I know, labtops use a totally different ram setup, because i've seen labtop ram and desktop ram and they're different. The hd is also smaller on your labtop. A desktop's hd is too big and yes... you can use your hd on your labtop like you do on your pc, although I'm not really sure what you mean. You can transfer the info... you just need to network the two comps or get an external hd and just backup the info from either comp and put it on the other. THe comp's ok, but if I were you... amd's new turion cpu is good too, i've heard. But that's a good labtop for today. Not too bad at all. Don't expect to be playing hl2 or doom3 at your screen's max settings though. But it'll play them, I'm sure. Hope this helps.

Congratulations on your new laptop....
You will need to post what your laptop is and all so that we could check to see what memory that you have, but I would venture to say that you can't just run any ddr as 1) it must be laptop memorywhich is different size and 2) need to know what speed your laptop is capable of handling
You must use an internal laptop HDD to replace the one that you are using. But you can add to that one with a USB external HDD
There are programs that will allow you to transfer files from one hdd to another.
your system should be fine for playing games

I'm kind of new to computers.

I guess my speed is: 546 MHz. Is that my speed, thats what it says, but i have no clue.

Also, its a HP Compaq Presario R4000

It uses right now 512MB of DDR SDRAM

Ok you can update that to 2 x 1024 g of ram for a total 2 gigs if you need it too but it must be ddr sdram.
My suggestion would to be to just match the 512 stick you have in there now for a total 1 gig. It should scream for your gaming pleasure

Can you link me to a 1 gig stick that you know i could use, preferably on newegg. Im not good with these things.

Thank You

Back
Top Bottom