Feeling a little Unconnected

wolfinstinct

In Runtime
I am having troubles staying connected to the internet. It is repeaditly losing connection.

The modem keeps on messing up, or something. The "receive" light will sometimes get stuck blinking, and takes few to connect. Then it sends signals and finaly gets online. I then have about 10 minutes of online connectivity before it happens again.

And I don't think it's because I have the same IP as some1 else, because it's dynamic.

Check all the connections to see if they're tight. Snug is good. Just don't get carried away. Go out side the house and check the service where it comes in. Make sure the connections are snug and clean. Check the ground wire. Make sure it's simply connected to the service and to a good ground. If all this is good then ring up your service and advise them of what is going on. If it's not a connection gone sour then my next suspect would be the modem itself. See if your service would be willing to have a tech drop by with a known good one. Go from there.

setishock said:
Check all the connections to see if they're tight. Snug is good. Just don't get carried away. Go out side the house and check the service where it comes in. Make sure the connections are snug and clean. Check the ground wire. Make sure it's simply connected to the service and to a good ground. If all this is good then ring up your service and advise them of what is going on. If it's not a connection gone sour then my next suspect would be the modem itself. See if your service would be willing to have a tech drop by with a known good one. Go from there.

Yeah great advice there Seti, *thumbs up*

And a little follow on from the cables, push the cord into the pc(if thats how it goes on your comp, which i imagine so..) and make sure it hasnt came out a *tiny tiny bit* might have bumped it, as that can happen, the simplest of things.

Good luck :)

edit~ Feeling a little Unconnected, i like that :p
*gives imaginary rep* heh

Depends on what OS your running. PC based try this..

Check physical connections, make sure you have everything inserted correctly. Are you running through a router / hub ? If so try going directly from modem to your computer.

Start -> Run -> type cmd (If cmd doesn't work, your on an older version of windows so type command)

Type:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release "Local Area Connection" <- Where Local area connection is, type the name of your connection. generally on cable it's going to be named that. If not find out under network connections.
ipconfig /renew

Check your TCP/IP settings ensure nothing has been hard coded here unless you have static IP's. If you don't have TCP/IP settings you'll need to add them (Since your able to connect for a period of time then you should have them)

Try running a netstat see how many active connections you have running to your computer, you may have to many things (Spyware, Ad-ware, Trojans, Viruses etc..) connected to your PC making your system hang and disconnect you.

If you are running through a router go to any browser and type 192.168.1.1 If you bought a linksys router UN - admin PW - (nothing) unless you've changed this. Other routers, refer to your manual or contact your vendor. (For example... Belkin, D-Link, Netopia etc) I'm sure they can provide you with something that will work. Once your here try pinging yahoo, see if all packets are received. Try a traceroute to the same site, see if there is a spot you hang on that may be causing your problem. Check your DHCP server here and verify nothing is hard coded (Again unless you have statics)

Uhhh.. Other then that.. Couldn't tell you really how to fix it, just how to find the problem. I do tech support for DSL not cable, and those are all things to try. If you find out the problem it's always best to give your provider a ring. Hope this helps finding your problem and learning how to go about your solution.

Edit: On DSL we have access to test, and whats called a DSLAM to see if the problem lies there. Since i don't do tech for cable they should have access like this, most likely called something else. And get your complaint in as early in your troubles as you can. Remember you can always ask for a pro-rated refund for the time your service was messed up. After all why should you pay when something doesn't work the way the provider guaruntees it.

Yeah, and if that doesn't work, get a new modem from your internet provider. That's probably the first thing they'll do if there is nothing physically wrong with your network.

Back
Top Bottom