Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9
Default Feel like helping a newbie? (game PC build)

Ok. I am getting into gaming PC's. I have spent some time doing research on what to get. I really dont have a budget but I dont want to spend money on parts that I dont need. Please let me know if all of these things will work together. I have done allot of research but I just want to be sure. Here is what I have:

CPU: AMD Phenom ii x4 955 Black Edition

Motherboard - Asus M4A88T-1 Deluxe Mini 1TX - Newegg.com - ASUS M4A88T-I Deluxe AM3 AMD 880G HDMI USB 3.0 Mini ITX AMD Motherboard

RAM: Kingston Hyper X 8GB (2x4GB) - Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB - Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Disc Drive: Samsung Black Blu-ray - Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support - Blu-Ray Drives

Power Supplies: Thermal take Black Widow 850 watt - Newegg.com - Thermaltake Black Widow W0319RU 850W ATX 12V v2.3, EPS 12V v2.91 CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Case: Newegg.com - RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WB Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case

OS: Windows 7 home premium 64bit

Graphics Card - Not really sure. I would like to have 2x Radeon 6850 or 1x GeForce GTX 560ti. What would you get?

My last question. Should I get any aftermarket cooling?

I would like to add something that I did not mention in the beggining of my thread. What is the difference in the i5 quad core processor 2500k-2600k and the AMD Phenom ii x4 except for price? Seems like they do the same thing.
__________________

GameGeek90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9
Default Re: Feel like helping a newbie? (game PC build)

Anyone?
__________________

GameGeek90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:17 AM   #3
Solid State Member
 
masteryoyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8
Default Re: Feel like helping a newbie? (game PC build)

with the graphics cards your motherboard doesn't support 2 graphics cards or the cpu you have chosen, asus is a very good company but this motherboard only will support a 95watt cpu and a single graphics card i would suggest Newegg.com - ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard or if you want to search it your self
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

it will support your cpu memory and two graphics card ati to be spasifc but one will run at x16 and the other at x8 but other then those issues your pc should run fine
ps. go with another case i have the same one and you'll end up taking out a drive bay to fit the graphics card and always go with an aftermarket cpu cooler
masteryoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9
Default Re: Feel like helping a newbie? (game PC build)

Quote:
Originally Posted by masteryoyo View Post
with the graphics cards your motherboard doesn't support 2 graphics cards or the cpu you have chosen, asus is a very good company but this motherboard only will support a 95watt cpu and a single graphics card i would suggest Newegg.com - ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard or if you want to search it your self
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

it will support your cpu memory and two graphics card ati to be spasifc but one will run at x16 and the other at x8 but other then those issues your pc should run fine
ps. go with another case i have the same one and you'll end up taking out a drive bay to fit the graphics card and always go with an aftermarket cpu cooler
Thats what ive actully learned last night by actully looking at the motherboard. It says "crossfireX" on it but I can only fit one card on it which made no since at all.

When you said that the first motherboard I have chosen does not support the CPU I have chosen may I ask how that is? For instance it says it supports phenom ii. What am I missing with that? Dont want to make any mistakes down the road

I am getting the motherboard you have linked me too. The reason I want to run 2 graphics cards is for a higher fps.
GameGeek90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
Solid State Member
 
masteryoyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8
Default Re: Feel like helping a newbie? (game PC build)

with the motherboard you listed it supports a 95watt cpu but the cpu you listed is a 125watt cpu. im running a ati radion 5830 an average of 200fps
masteryoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9
Default Re: Feel like helping a newbie? (game PC build)

Quote:
Originally Posted by masteryoyo View Post
with the motherboard you listed it supports a 95watt cpu but the cpu you listed is a 125watt cpu. im running a ati radion 5830 an average of 200fps
wow good eye Cant understand why I did not see that

wow 200fps? that sounds good. I know that with the 6850 you get around 30-60fps on crisis 2. I got to look into the 5830 now lol.
GameGeek90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
Solid State Member
 
masteryoyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8
Default Re: Feel like helping a newbie? (game PC build)

thanks its easy to over look. well the 5830 is a good card but i never did the crisis test on it so look up some benchmarks and find the best for your price range and performance
masteryoyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
Beta Member
 
BlueCommet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1
Default Re: Feel like helping a newbie? (game PC build)

Everything looks ok with your build with the exception of the mobo wich the mobo yoyo picked out looks good (although going with an 890fx board over the 790 would give u better compatabilty with some newer cpu's). Also one gpu is always better than going with two i would suggest getting one 6870 instead of two 6850's as a 6870 is more than enought to run most games maxxed out with the exception of a few like metro 2033. Yes i would definatly get an aftermarket cooler as i have a 965 and the stock cooler would overheat on idle (i live in the desert) so i got a thermaltake frio Newegg.com - Thermaltake Frio Overclocking-Ready Intel Core i7 (six-core ready) & i5 Compatible Five 8mm Heatpipes Dual 120mm Fans Intel & AMD Universal CPU Cooler CLP0564 and that works quite well but if your worried about noise it has nobs on the fans wires so u can manually slow them down wich is nice. Also the difference between the 2500k and the amd 955 is the 2500k is a newer arcitecture so it is much faster but a 955 is still quite fast (im running 3200mhz myself to cut down on heat). Here is the difference between the cpu's Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News. Hope this helps u out.
BlueCommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #9
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9
Default Re: Feel like helping a newbie? (game PC build)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCommet View Post
Everything looks ok with your build with the exception of the mobo wich the mobo yoyo picked out looks good (although going with an 890fx board over the 790 would give u better compatabilty with some newer cpu's). Also one gpu is always better than going with two i would suggest getting one 6870 instead of two 6850's as a 6870 is more than enought to run most games maxxed out with the exception of a few like metro 2033. Yes i would definatly get an aftermarket cooler as i have a 965 and the stock cooler would overheat on idle (i live in the desert) so i got a thermaltake frio Newegg.com - Thermaltake Frio Overclocking-Ready Intel Core i7 (six-core ready) & i5 Compatible Five 8mm Heatpipes Dual 120mm Fans Intel & AMD Universal CPU Cooler CLP0564 and that works quite well but if your worried about noise it has nobs on the fans wires so u can manually slow them down wich is nice. Also the difference between the 2500k and the amd 955 is the 2500k is a newer arcitecture so it is much faster but a 955 is still quite fast (im running 3200mhz myself to cut down on heat). Here is the difference between the cpu's Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News. Hope this helps u out.

Thanks allot! Good information!
__________________

GameGeek90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0