Feedback Wanted on Near-Future Build

n00b__

Beta member
Hey there,

I'd appreciate it if you guys could critique my selections here. I'm building this to hold me over until DDR3 comes down in price and becomes more mainstream. So, for now I need something good. And by good, I mean good enough for Unreal Tournament 3, 3D modeling, and other level design stuff for games, and to run them well, of course. If you think of any changes that would be for the better, feel free to share the knowledge.

This is what I have planned so far:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Motherboard: Gigabyte X38
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTS
Memory: 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1066
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 500GB

Oh yeah, and should I go with Vista 32-bit or 64-bit?

Thanks in advance. :)

looks like a good setup will play unreal tournament 3 fine. vista would be alrite with what you have and it will support direct x10 so it will be better in gaming and with the service pack out you shouldn't have too many problems.

Looks like a very promising build.

I'd go with the 32-bit OS as long as you don't have apps that only run in 64-bit that you might need to use. I went with Ultimate and i'm pretty happy with 32-bit. Plus, 64-bit doesn't have as much support for software like the 32 bit does.

Edit: Also, the Q6600 price should be dropping soon. I forget when, but all the 65nm chips will see price cuts.

Looks like a great build, but... (no, GhostGT this isn't going to be about duals vs quads) I would advise you not to waste your money on 1066MHz RAM. The difference between 800MHz and 1066MHz memory is nil in real-life performance. Plus 800MHz stuff is a lot cheaper and I know for a fact that Corsair XMS2 800MHz RAM can reach speeds of up to 1100MHz when overclocked. Just a thought but if you want to keep with that stuff then that's fine with me. Have fun with your new rig!

Back
Top Bottom