Faulty motherboard or CPU! Plz Help!

electricsashimi

Solid State Member
So here's what happened:
After turning my computer on, I left my room for a few hours and when i came back the screen was black and the computer was off. I turned it on, i can hear the fans on and computer LED lite was on, but the monitor stayed black...

This is all the information after I tried to find the error...and I think either the motherboard is screwed up or the Pentium 4 cpu is screwed up....

its not the video card since its an integrated video card

1) When the CPU is removed PC will not respond even thou the powersupply, DVD drive, ram, HD, is all connected
2) WHen CPU is connected, fans spin, harddrive spin, but DVD drive won't eject and won't respond, monitor stays black (its not the monitor cuz it worked with my new computer)
3) When I use a faulty CPU (borrowed a already screwed up CPU) PC reacts same way as #2... SO I think its safe to conclude that it doesn't matter whether the CPU is faulty or not, the harddrive and fans will still spin.....But the dvd drive still won't eject....
4) I use a wireless keyboard and mouse, so i don't think it matters when the mouse lights up and keyboard lites up
5) When the CPU is inserted it heats up (so electricity is indeed going thru the CPU)
6) Reinserting the ram, and the motherboard battery does not help
7) When the IDE cable is connected to the DVD drive, it will not open when i press the button, when the IDE cable is not connected it WILL respond!
8) WHen holding the power button on the computer for a few seconds, the computer will shut off

My Monitor still stays Black!!, the computer will not BOot!!! what do i DO!????

I think resetting the BIOS could be the solution. There should be some jumpers on the mobo. Take the CMOS battery out before resetting the jumpers.

So here's what happened:
After turning my computer on, I left my room for a few hours and when i came back the screen was black and the computer was off. I turned it on, i can hear the fans on and computer LED lite was on, but the monitor stayed black...

This is all the information after I tried to find the error...and I think either the motherboard is screwed up or the Pentium 4 cpu is screwed up....

its not the video card since its an integrated video card

1) When the CPU is removed PC will not respond even thou the powersupply, DVD drive, ram, HD, is all connected
2) WHen CPU is connected, fans spin, harddrive spin, but DVD drive won't eject and won't respond, monitor stays black (its not the monitor cuz it worked with my new computer)
3) When I use a faulty CPU (borrowed a already screwed up CPU) PC reacts same way as #2... SO I think its safe to conclude that it doesn't matter whether the CPU is faulty or not, the harddrive and fans will still spin.....But the dvd drive still won't eject....
4) I use a wireless keyboard and mouse, so i don't think it matters when the mouse lights up and keyboard lites up
5) When the CPU is inserted it heats up (so electricity is indeed going thru the CPU)
6) Reinserting the ram, and the motherboard battery does not help
7) When the IDE cable is connected to the DVD drive, it will not open when i press the button, when the IDE cable is not connected it WILL respond!
8) WHen holding the power button on the computer for a few seconds, the computer will shut off

My Monitor still stays Black!!, the computer will not BOot!!! what do i DO!????

onboard video does go bad once in a while, get a cheap/old video card and install it, if the monitor comes back on, then it's obviously your onboard video...

actually I have a cheap video card at my disposal, but I don't think it automatically switches to the card, I think u either have to set it in the bios or something, and since the bios doesn't boot, isn't the default card the onboard card?

actually I have a cheap video card at my disposal, but I don't think it automatically switches to the card, I think u either have to set it in the bios or something, and since the bios doesn't boot, isn't the default card the onboard card?

No, if it detects a new card and it's 6 years old or newer, it'll use the non-onboard card.

Have you done any RAM diagnostics?

Different sticks, same sticks different slots, one stick at a time in every port.

Back
Top Bottom