faulty case switch

vinosus

Beta member
the poweron switch on front of my pc case is on the way out...and sometimes fails and i have to re press it.
do i have to buy a new case and transfer all hardware,can new switches be bought,or is there a way to bypass the switch and power on by mains switch?

You could always leave the side panel open, and use a piece of metal or something that will conduct and just touch the two jumper pins. :D

I don't know if you can buy a new switch (i'm sure its possible though)
but i guess you could take the switch out, get another wire, and mesh this with the wire that connected to the switch. I mean a switch is only something that you press to make a full circuit. Without this it'll just switch on.

Though you'll have to use the powersupply switch to switch it off like you would normally after you've stopped using it, or pull the plug

You must be able to buy switches somewhere though

Slaughter said:
You could always leave the side panel open, and use a piece of metal or something that will conduct and just touch the two jumper pins. :D

I really wouldn't advise that, u cud short summat!! You could get a sitch from a hardware store, just as long as it has the right wiiring and then just make a hole in ur case and uve got one snazzy switch!!

Yeah David's right, you can just use that.
I definetly wouldn't think shorting it out would damage it, as it's only doing the same thing a switch does when is in the on position....

Oh man...

If you use the power kill switch on the back of the psu then the drives will get crashed over and over. Part of the windows shutdown routine is parking the heads in the drives as well as saving the system configuration. Kill switch, bad idea.
You can go to sites like xoide and thinkgeek and find not really excact replacements but one that with a little elbow grease can be fitted in. They are cheaper than replacing a frizzed out drive.

this is more of a mechanical problem than a software problem... there for it can be fixed manually!

i think what u need to do is find a sparky friend and get them to look at it (having taken the covers n stuff off) so that they can see what sorta wire is required (THIS WOULD BE VERY IMPORTANT, U DONT WANT IT BURNING OUT!!!) and then get a new switch from a store and have them replace it. it will probably involve them having to cut the front of the box a bit to get the new switch to fit but it shouldnt be too much trouble really!!!

Back
Top Bottom