Fat32 or NTFS

Deathstar said:
Circuit City may have neglected to include the cd's when they packed it though seems rather slipshod to me.

Good luck with Acer though I think they'll send you back to Circuit City.
i've been poking around and it looks like i gota burn my own recovery cd's or something stupid like that, if Acer doesn't get back to me by tommorow i'm going to call Circuit City and see what they have to say.

It's such a awsome computer i hate to see something hapen to it and i can't recover it without spending another 100 bucks for a new xp cd.

Linux Guru said:
i've been poking around and it looks like i gota burn my own recovery cd's or something stupid like that.......
If thats the case then Acer has lowered it's standards considerably :(

Well i just figured it out, acer has this eRecovery thing which all you do is type eRevoery into Run and it comes up and you can burn your own factory image to disk, it's actually kind of nice i think because there are tons of options. I should just make a backup DVD of the factory image and then reformat into NTFS.

Wuts soo much better about NTFS i have like no idea why it's better is it faster??

Linux Guru said:
Well i just figured it out, acer has this eRecovery thing which all you do is type eRevoery into Run and it comes up and you can burn your own factory image to disk .....
Do that right now, before there is any chance your pc gets corrupted and you can't do it later.

New Technology File System (NTFS) is a new way of storing data, I didn't look at the wiki links but I'm sure they'll give you lots of info

Vista was supposed to have a new file system again (WinFS - Windows File System) but it wasn't ready in time for the beta2 release, maybe by the time RC1 is ready or the final release is ready it will be up and running.

WARNING:

Please make your recovery disk first, just in case. Also empty temporary internet files, delete cookies, and defrag before continuing.

Back up any crucial data as well, just in case (always think in terms of the worst possible scenario in these cases)

To change from FAT 32 to NTFS file system for more stability, security and less fragmentation, open the command prompt and type:

Convert C: /FS:NTFS

"C" being the drive you wish to convert. Make sure there is a space between the C: and the foward slash (/). Once you press enter it will ask you for confirmation and press Y. Then press Y and enter once more to reboot..

Now thats over :) if you are going to merge your partitions then a full format is required or third party partitioning software.

Deathstar said:
WARNING:

Please make your recovery disk first, just in case. Also empty temporary internet files, delete cookies, and defrag before continuing.

Back up any crucial data as well, just in case (always think in terms of the worst possible scenario in these cases)

To change from FAT 32 to NTFS file system for more stability, security and less fragmentation, open the command prompt and type:

Convert C: /FS:NTFS

"C" being the drive you wish to convert. Make sure there is a space between the C: and the foward slash (/). Once you press enter it will ask you for confirmation and press Y. Then press Y and enter once more to reboot..
i'm on the 4th recover disk out of 5 right now, thanks for the command i need to use, i never knew to do it that way, that's easier then playing around with that bootable linux thingey. I'm also going to boot from the recover disk just to see if it has an option about choosing NTFS instead. Thanks for you help
-Mike

No worries Mike, I hope it all goes well for you ;)

EDIT: Please note, this will not combine your two partitions, you will need a full format or third party software to do that.

Back
Top Bottom