Faster CPU or dual-core?

superbenny

Solid State Member
I am building my first computer, and I am a bit confused on what option is best:

A 3.0ghz single core
or a 2.0ghz dual core

please explain to me the reason, not just a single line response.

thanks,
superbenny

I'm not extremely great with CPUs but I'd like to advise as best as I can. If I'm not mistaken, dual core is better. I'm sure you know that it is not total of 4.0GHz because it doesn't add, but you do have 2 cores to improve processing speed. Meaning, you will be processing more things simultaneously on dual core than single core. I may be wrong, but give a little more time and other members will surely clarify it for you.

Hey superbenny, welcome to the forum.:)

Wish I could help. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you are. I just ordered my new CPU and just waiting for it to get here. I upgraded from a 2.2Ghz to a 2.4Ghz cause my computer is kinda old. If I had the money I would build my own also. Well, goodluck with it and let me know how it goes. Soon I'll be building my own too.

Later.:D

Dual-core. More and more things are being programmed to utilize multiple cores. Eventually, the "faster" singlecore will be crippled. At any rate, new dual-cores out-preform even the fastest single cores.

thanks for the fast response everyone!
I think I'm going to go with the dual core, unless someone responds with an argument for the single core between now and the time I order...which probably wont be for another month or so its a posibility.
thanks again everyone!
-superbenny

Definately the Dual core.When i first bought my computer,i was upgrading from a single core P4 2.8ghz,when i saw that this computer was only 2.4Ghz Dual core,i thought it would be WAY Slower,but when i eventually bought it (It was the best out of the lot) and got it home,i was very suprised how much quicker it was!

All explained best, but I want to add something! :)

Buying a dual core is better in all, one of the reasons is L(x)Caches, because dual core processors have more memory length at dual cores, because if you buy a processor 3.0GHz 1MB L2Cache processor in other hand the dual core processor 2GHz will have 2x1MB or 2x2MB L(x)Cache. Finally one last thing to add is that with dual core processors you can do many actions at one time, like playing game and listening to music, or something other.

2.0 dual core is slower than a 4.0 for example, however dual core is a little better (even if in slower ghz) because it gets a cooler temp because the load is spread evenly to both cores. i have a 1.9 clocked to 3.5 (even though it should be as fast as a 3.8) this is due to data loss (a small 15~% percent loss in data tranfers between the two).

then why are people telling gamers to get duos instead of quads? Smaller l2 cache mostly, maybe slightly higher clock speed. Is it just to save the 40 or 50 dollars?

gamers are reccomended to get dual cores for 3 main reason,

1. cheaper for 1333 Mhz Fsb
2.Higher Clock Speeds
3. i dont know of any game at the moment that is built to utilise 4 cores.

Back
Top Bottom