Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-12-2006, 01:55 AM   #1
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino
Default FarCry Instincts Predator (Xbox 360) vs. FarCry (PC) Water Comparisons

"Far Cry, the tropical first-person shooter for the PC, redefined real-time graphics with wide open environments, realistic vegetation and water and an unprecedented view-distance. Last year, Ubisoft brought us Far Cry Instincts, an adaptation of the franchise to console that shipped exclusively for the Xbox, receiving good review ratings.

Last month, Ubisoft announced that its award winning Montreal studio will once again develop new titles inspired by Far Cry Instincts. Far Cry Instincts Next Chapter (working title) for the Xbox will introduce players to an entirely new story, characters and game features that reflect and improve upon the critically acclaimed elements of the first title.

Far Cry Instincts Predator for the Xbox 360 will feature both Far Cry Instincts Next Chapter and an enhanced version of the original Far Cry Instincts game.

Just as Far Cry redefined real-time graphics on the PC, Far Cry Instincts PREDATOR promises to the same on next-generation consoles. Ubisoft has rewritten many of the shaders used in vegetation and water and improved the lighting model, taking advantage of Xbox 360's multi-core next-generation engine for improved performance.

Today, we bring you a video that compares the water as seen on Far Cry Instincts PREDATOR on the Xbox 360 and Far Cry for the PC, with Ultra High settings applied for both water and lighting.

Believe it or not, the water looks considerably better on the Xbox 360 as a result of the new filters and shaders written exclusively for this version. Ubisoft Montreal has applied an oceanographic algorithm for the waves only found on the Xbox 360 adaptation of Far Cry.

Did we mention that the game always runs at 60 frames per second? Show this video to your PC gamer friends and tell them no PC game can do this."

DOWNLOAD HERE

Format: Windows Media
Size: 36mb

That has got to be the best looking water I've ever seen...PC gamers, drink this! That water is Xbox 360 exclusive baby!

alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:10 AM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: FarCry Instincts Predator (Xbox 360) vs. FarCry (PC) Water Comparisons

I didn't watch the video, but is it really a big deal? I have Far Cry for the PC and I think the water effects are spectacular anyway. Not to mention... aren't you a PC gamer anyways?

I'm sure the Xbox 360 has a lot to offer, but when you look at the cost-benefit, it's however much it is now to zero. You don't gain anything by playing video games that's beneficial to your life, really. But, they're fun!

Jamxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:13 AM   #3
Daemon Poster

Default Re: FarCry Instincts Predator (Xbox 360) vs. FarCry (PC) Water Comparisons

I think crysis will look much better than both. Directx 10 and shader model 4. Oh yea baby.
Western Digital 250 Gig HD
Evga 8800GTS 640mb Oc'd to 615/1000
allenn812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:18 AM   #4
In Runtime

What are the system requirments?
Old 02-12-2006, 02:21 AM   #5
Golden Master

Crysis is a tech demo. This is real time, on Xbox 360 hardware. It's still pretty damn impressive and the water is the main thing. If you look at the Crysis video, the waves aren't actually that realistic...they difuse on the beach fine, but the action of the water isn't as good as this.
Old 02-12-2006, 02:22 AM   #6
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Review
What are the system requirments?
For what? FarCry Instincts Predator? Crysis? FarCry for PC?
Old 02-12-2006, 02:41 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

i watched the video and it does look far better on the 360 but thats only cause they redid the shaders for the 360 version so i dont think this proves anything
Old 02-12-2006, 03:32 AM   #8
Golden Master

It proves that the Xbox 360 can do things the PC can't. Not all the time, but sometimes there's those things that something can do better than the rest. This is that time.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:35 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

As far as video games go, at least. Remember that.
Jamxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 12:50 PM   #10
Golden Master

Well, duh. But considering these are polygons that are graphically rendered, that's pretty damn amazing.