Fan Speed

bhstr99

Solid State Member
Hello, I just wanted to know if Increasing your FAN speed is benificial for your computer? like will it help it in the long run to last longer? or prevent crashes etc?

I have AMD graphics card, so if i use AMD overdrive it has a fan speed setting on that, and my graphics card is intergrated, but when i changet the fan speed on AMD overdrive is that for the Graphics card [dont know if it has a fan] or the normal fan in the pc?
I think its for the normal fan in the PC [only has 1 cooling fan]

So if i use automatic speeds and make it spin faster is that a good thing for the PC

Ty for your time

If yes is there any programs you'd recommend that i could use to control my fan speed?

It depends. The fan speeds themselves won't have any direct impact on your machine at all - it's how cool the components are that's going to affect their lifetime, so it's really the temperatures you should be monitoring and then adjusting the fan speeds to suit (if necessary.) If you're not doing heavy overclocking or running something like folding@home that might keep your processor(s) maxed out for days on end, you're probably fine leaving things just as they are.

The best thing to do in my view would be to just keep an eye on the temperatures. If they're running rather hot, then yes you can probably bump up the fan speeds a bit to keep them cooler and increase the lifespan as a result. If they're running cool already though, the chances are the only effect you'll notice from increasing fan speed is a nosier PC!

One more thing to add to Berry's comment. If you increase fan speed, you're most likely dropping the temperature. Great, right? Well, partially. You need to also consider that you're now moving much more air through your case, and therefore, much more dust will get accumulated in there.

Leave your PC there. It sounds like you don't do alot anyway. To clean out your PC just buy a can of air, take off the side panel and blow it out. If it has been a long time I would take it outside and do it, or you will just blow the dust back in the room. Blow out the fans real good, no need to detatch anything. Keep in mind how long it has been since you've last done this and how much dust is in there. If it has been a year and there's not much dust then you can safely say that dust isn't a problem.

Your temperatures are fine.

-Q

Back
Top Bottom