Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-29-2004, 03:10 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Question Fucked up CD drive.

Hey guys, I was playing a computer game on a CD a few months ago, it was a pretty old starcraft CD and it all of a sudden exploded into 100 pieces in my CD drive. Luckily I have 2 CD drives, because I cleaned most of the pieces out but I am assuming there are more pieces farther in the drive that are preventing the disk drive from closing. Every time I try to close the disk drive it reopens, so I am pretty sure there is a piece of the CD blocking it. I have still been able to use the other drive, but I am worried dust may be getting into my computer, which is fairly new, less than a year old and is pretty good so I know it is not my computer that cause the disk to break. The reason it broke was probably because it is 5 years old and I used to play it non-stop and still have played it often recently. What do you guys think I should do to fix my CD drive, would you recommend opening up my computer and removing the drive, then cleaning the pieces out?

Heero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 03:16 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to rakedog

Well.....removing the CD drive is really trivial...you shouldn't have a problem with that...but I think that if the cd "exploded into 100 pieces" , there might be microscopic pieces on the lens and everything so you might have trouble using it alltogether.

rakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 03:18 PM   #3
Solid State Member

Yeah if the CD drive doesn't work due to microscopic pieces, I would not be too disappointed, I just mainly want the damn thing to close so that Its not letting dust in and sticking out the whole time, since I have another Drive.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:31 PM   #4
In Runtime

Default Re: F**ked up CD drive.

go to the compter store and get a knock out plastic to fill the hole after removeing the dead drive
Old 08-29-2004, 05:52 PM   #5
Solid State Member

Is that plastic piece u talked about free? Also if i did get microscopic pieces on the lens (im not at the house with the messed up drive on the computer so can't take the drive out till tonight) Also is there anything I should know about removing the drive, I cant find my computer's instruction manual, and I dont want to mess up my computer because it is new and there is no way in hell I will be allowed to get a new one if this one doesnt work. Is there a risk that something may go wrong? By the way this isnt my first time to go inside a computer and mess with it.
Old 08-29-2004, 05:56 PM   #6
Solid State Member

Hey guys, I have another question. If my CD drive is dead, I am probably going to buy a new Drive if it is possible, because my other drive is a DVD drive that can also play CDs, where can I find a drive for my computer? Also how much do you think it would cost. Here is my computer http://www.emachines.com/products/pr...Machines_T2958
Old 08-29-2004, 06:03 PM   #7
Solid State Member

Ah shit nvm, the new CD Drive would be 90 dollars (found on EMachines site) and I am saving up for a laptop and don't want to have to buy a new drive if the one I am having problems with is dead.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:06 PM   #8
Solid State Member

Ah shit nvm, the new CD Drive would be 90 dollars (found on EMachines site) and I am saving up for a laptop and don't want to have to buy a new drive if the one I am having problems with is dead. Do you guys find any problems that could occur with me using the DVD Drive for CDs? If it may cause problems I may have to buy a new CD Drive.
Old 08-29-2004, 06:34 PM   #9
Daemon Poster

Default Re: F**ked up CD drive.

eh
u can find a cd drive for fairly cheap. Where dou live. in the US??
here's a link if u live in US.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...151-045&depa=0
18 dollars baby.
not the best one out there, but still better than nothing. and also, if ur worried about dust getting in ur comp, just get a piece of tape, and just tape over the hole. nothing big, it'll be temporary, so it don't matter.

1024 Kingston Hyperx Ram
TibsBeatAll is offline   Reply With Quote