F.E.A.R. Performance

99tollap said:
Original question:- Is it possible to get a playable framerate in F.E.A.R. on a laptop (3ghz p4, 1gb ram, ati 9700 pro) with settings 1152x860, everything on max except AA/AF which aren't switched on.

Well depends what u mean. SP or MP? In SP something like 20FPS is playable, in multiplayer I want 60+FPS. 20 FPS is possible, though I do think that he is not honest with u. 60FPS? No change.

I'm going to download this now. I've wanted to for a while, and I have enough time now, and with my 2mb connection too... :p

I'll post what I can get maximum with my system below :) I have a 9800PRO, but I still expect to do rather well...well for the card I have, hehe.

Anyway, I just want to see these extreme graphics running. I've heard and seen there great. So I just want to see it moving :p

Peter Michael Edward Tollan (99tollap)...now what can i say? First of all, I did not tell Peter that i had everthing on max. I simply said that when i played the game on my laptop, it wasn't as jerky as when i played on his computer, 512mb RAM as opposed to 1024mb RAM. So the first thing he does is jump on this forum and start trying his best to prove me wrong, sparking off at the same time. So what do I say to you Peter?...I'll prove it!

The Amish Kid? You say you run at 1024x768 with no extra features at 60fps? You do know thats good right? :p

You should be able to push your system further than that in that place. Try increasing the quality slowly. I find 2x antialising gives games a great look anyway, and you should be able to increase the Antiastropic to 16x. I always do, and I get no impact with fps, even on my 9800PRO...

I mean with the same card, on Half Life 2, I can play at 1024x768, with 6x Antialising, and 16x Antiastropic :p with about 70fps, but play at 800x600 because I prefer the sharpness at this RES.

So yeah, push it as far as you go. A Playable FPS for me would probably be 35-40fps.

I always mess with settings you see until I get the best possible frame rate with the best possible quality.

EDIT:

Right its downloaded. I'm going to test it now :D

well it's a personal opinion but I like my FPS to be 60+. But the demo has some issues. Sometimes I get about 40FPS, sometimes 110FPS. And that's not normal. And I don't mean like it jumping to 110 for 10 seconds, sometimes I can play like 10 minutes with an fps over 100. Then I could increase the graphics but then when it starts going slow I would have like 20FPS, and that ain't good enough for me.

Wow, hehe. I just completed the demo. Its amazing, and pretty freaky, but didn't scare me when for example that girl kept appearing.

With my system (see specs below)

I could run at reletivley good settings, and I think I was getting about 35-60fps though theres no frame counter to suggest anything. Any one know how you can get that on this game, like with Half Life 2?

As for the graphics though, just amazing!
Even when I was running on Medium/High settings (Soft Shadows off and Shadows on Medium, All model/environment details on High, textures on Medium, effects on High, AA off, running at 800x600) its just amazing to see! :eek: :D

It just never jerked (which is what I hate the most). Loading times were great too with a level taking approx 5-10 seconds a time to load a saved game, which is comparable to Half Life 2 which takes about 15-30 seconds.

Plus, that slow motion effect is great. I loved it when it just came on, and you had no choice in it, for example when those enimies smash through the wall.

I was dissapointed when it ended :(
Though, hehe, before it faded out, I had no weapons anyway, and only my fists, so in a way, I was lucky...

I'm happy with how my computer worked though, considering how new the game is.
if anyone can give me a way of getting a frame counter, I'll show you exactly what I got.
I at first tried running at super high settings except for the textures, which stayed at Medium, and it did very well in places, except for when you were out in the open and a few enimies were in place, which is when the frame rate probably went to the 10fps mark.

Using my 9800PRO with 128mb of memory, I found the Soft Shadows option (Looked great) proved the most fps hitting. Next was the Antialising, which also cut away the fps, though surprisingly, not as much.

Sorry about the sdouble post, but I think my computer needs congratulating. Again, after playing for the first time, and then turning off the PC for a day or so and turning on again, and decided to play it (like I did with Half Life 2), I can run at ALL high settings (Including System), except for Medium textures (128mb vid card), no Antialiasing or Soft Shadows, and at 800x600 or 1024x768 without any jerks/slowdowns or anything.

The framerate seems great and smooth, and can play it no problems. It seems higher than 30fps anyway. (I still want to check this though properly, so if anyone has any fps counters they could lead me too).

Not bad, huh? For a Radeon 9800 PRO? :p

i worked it fine on 1024 x 768 with MAX settings, full aa, full anistrophic crap.. max max max. seemsd to work at over 60 fps.. if i had a monitor with a faster refresh rate.. it maxes at 60hz.. perhaps i could pump more juice out..

keep in mind that i have a x850xt and 2 gigs of ram

Exactly :p and heres me with a measly Radeon 9800PRO with 128mb of RAM, and I'm able to up almost every setting within the game.

I think again though, like Half Life 2 was, its more CPU bound, which is again why mine is probably doing really well on this too.

Am I right in saying this is also using an improved Doom3 engine? It has that look about it.

NOTE:

The only times I noticed a slight FPS drop was when in that helicopter scene, where it drops down more men. Thats the only time I noticed a drop. not bad :D And even that was miniscule.

How do you know it maxes at 60hz? You have a counter?

Anyhow though, go into Video Card settings and disable V-Sync (though on yours it might be best to keep it on), it'll no longer max out at 60, and wil be able to pump out what the card can produce :)

*EDIT*

Its making me want to buy the game though, the single player demo is. I've played through the demo now 3 times!!!

I love the slow motion and that nice sharpness effect it gives when you press it, and how you can see all the bullets. Its just amazing :D

Back
Top Bottom