Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
DVC
Beta Member

Default Extra Long range router

I have noticed every wireless device that says the range is xxx just isnít so in the real world. Usually about 1/3 the distance is what you can expect.

My ham shack is located in a metal building about 100 ft from the house. I can place the router in the window and it would be a straight shot to the building. I do have a window in the door and another window 6 feet further over. Could possible put USB receiver in window.

Range is my biggest concern. I bought a Linksys AC 1750 haven't opened yet. Could take it back.
Paid $189 so it should be a good one.
When at Wal-Mart all on the shelf bragged about speed. My case who cares. The max. speed available in Poteau, OK is 3 Mb. I live on 10 acres so no worry about piggy backs.

So while I can still take it back if needed suggest the longest range router I can get, budget $200.00.

DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Extra Long range router

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post

I have noticed every wireless device that says the range is xxx just isnít so in the real world. Usually about 1/3 the distance is what you can expect.

My ham shack is located in a metal building about 100 ft from the house. I can place the router in the window and it would be a straight shot to the building. I do have a window in the door and another window 6 feet further over. Could possible put USB receiver in window.

Range is my biggest concern. I bought a Linksys AC 1750 haven't opened yet. Could take it back.
Paid $189 so it should be a good one.
When at Wal-Mart all on the shelf bragged about speed. My case who cares. The max. speed available in Poteau, OK is 3 Mb. I live on 10 acres so no worry about piggy backs.

So while I can still take it back if needed suggest the longest range router I can get, budget $200.00.
I have been pleased by the performance of the TP-Link N750, but I also heard that the AC 1750 is better, so I really don't know. Try to watch this: (It could help you decide)

Old 12-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
DVC
Beta Member

Default Re: Extra Long range router

Well I took it back and got an ASUS RT AC68R it is a 802.11AC or AC1900 hope it does the job.
DVC is offline   Reply With Quote