External Master DVD drive

Colin2238

Beta member
Hello all :) this is my first post so bear with me. My brother is a moron when it comes to computers and is over in iraq now with the army. He explains to me his laptops dvd drive is beginning to burn out due to heat, sand, and crappy disks he said are made over there. Anywho he inquired about buying a external DVD drive to use for installing games and such.

I know that u can burn, rip, play most media with these external DVD-RWs but everything Ive read doesnt say nething about being able to install programs through them onto the harddrive.

If neone can help me find a answer or a external dvd drive that will allow him to install stuff id be gratefully appreciated.

Hello all :) this is my first post so bear with me. My brother is a moron when it comes to computers and is over in iraq now with the army. He explains to me his laptops dvd drive is beginning to burn out due to heat, sand, and crappy disks he said are made over there. Anywho he inquired about buying a external DVD drive to use for installing games and such.

I know that u can burn, rip, play most media with these external DVD-RWs but everything Ive read doesnt say nething about being able to install programs through them onto the harddrive.

If neone can help me find a answer or a external dvd drive that will allow him to install stuff id be gratefully appreciated.

You can buy new internal DVD drives. Drives do wear out over time. Look on newegg for drives; I buy from them all the time. An internal drive should be good enough.

yea ive been looking at them but none say nething about being able to INSTALL games and such lol. He has a warrantied dell laptop XPS so i told him to deal with them but says since hes in iraq he wont get the laptop back for like 2 months and any other he buys and puts in voids his warranty.

Thats why hes asking about a external lol. I dont know if its just common knowledge that they DO allow installing of software on these externals but i just didnt know and nothing i was reading about it said it would.

So i guess if i buy one of these externals they have all the same features and can do everything the internal one can do like burn, rip, install? I shoulda been more smart about the question hehe

And thanks again for the help much appreciated :D

yea ive been looking at them but none say nething about being able to INSTALL games and such lol. He has a warrantied dell laptop XPS so i told him to deal with them but says since hes in iraq he wont get the laptop back for like 2 months and any other he buys and puts in voids his warranty.

Thats why hes asking about a external lol. I dont know if its just common knowledge that they DO allow installing of software on these externals but i just didnt know and nothing i was reading about it said it would.

So i guess if i buy one of these externals they have all the same features and can do everything the internal one can do like burn, rip, install? I shoulda been more smart about the question hehe

And thanks again for the help much appreciated :D

They work just like any other drive, but they can be a bit slower.

First you've got to figure out if the lappy has an IDE or SATA DVD writer. Having the model number of the lappy would be helpful.

If it's SATA

or

If it's IDE

Since he's in Iraq: if replacing the internal drive is a problem then here's an external.

Wow ok cool thanks for the help folks and my brother is says thanks alot hes gonna grab that samsung :)

He was just worried hed be screwed over there with no way to install games or play movies, but you helped out great thanks

Back
Top Bottom