External HDDS Size vs Price vs Brand

wizzcameron

Beta member
Hello, im in a bit of a muddle i have 6, 300gb Segate SATA 7200Rpm Baracudas and a 160gb Segate Baracuda 7200rpm running as primary with os / games ect. the 300gb Segate Baracudas are running as seperate drives all containing mp3's, movies tv programs ect. im now running low on space and have started pileing files up on my 80gb hdd in my download computer. my psu doesn't seam to like much more drives on it let alone the room in the case, so ive decided to invest in some external USB 2.0 Drives. im looking to get either 300gb, 400gb or 500gb drives i have looked into 1Tb drives but they are a little pricey at the moment. im just unsure about brands Im a big fan of segate and have allways used them. but segate only make upto a 300gb external which doesn't look at all that flash. so im left with Maxtor, Hitachi, Laice and Galaxy not to mention a few other cheepies out to make a quick buck. im also a fan of maxtor but once again the price goes up and their selection is limited past 300/400gb what advice could you give me.

im located in New Zealand but am happy to buy from overseas
i have been using
www.pricewatch.com
and the New Zealand one www.pricespy.co.nz
any advice on brands and where to buy from would be great
Thanks

From my reason, I know that the hitachi deskstar 500g drives are amazing. I saw a review of them and even benchmarks and their speed is incredible. Although not compared to 10,000rpm drives, their 500g is pretty sweet. THat's the one I recommend. here's the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822147007
Newegg.com doesn't ship overseas, but I'm sure you can find them on those sites... hope this helps! :D

you almost have 2tb of space on your computer and its getting full, oh man i never though anyone would do that. you must do alot of video editiing or just downloading

yea seriously did u like store the world wide web in ur pc or something. or is ur computer like that show umm. its like this dude that eats info. thats ur pc now. :p

2Tb Is nothing man

ok see it like this

example:
Stargate Season 1-8 DVD Rips ( + First 1/3 of Season 9)
Stargate Atlantis Season 1 (+ First 1/3 of Season 2)
Macgyver TV Rips Season 1-7

That Alone Is 100Gb Ish
Then add the 60gb of Modern Marvels
All 16 Seasons Of The Simpsons
All 5 Seasons Of Family Guy
All 5 Seasons Of Futurama

The list goes on you get the idea :D

dont any of them get viruses or go bad? you should have backup copies on dvd's or cd's or something.

Yea i use virus protection, alot of it and have done for ages, aswell as that i use a few monitors to monitor drive health ect.
i also rip alot of tv programs aswell, and have done so for many years. (so that adds a bit)...

Back
Top Bottom