External HDD's

Well first impressions - It looks great :p

I don't know much about dollars, but 500GB is sure alot.

Make sure though, like with any hard drive, you keep a backup...somehow...

USB 2.0 is actually faster than Firewire in this case it seems... by 80mbits

TEMP:

5° C to 35° C

Thats alright. Hard drives start corrupting themselves past 55 degrees C. As long as its in alright conditions, you won't have a problem what so ever.

So those temps are good? They look pretty hot to me, and it feels hot from the outside.

I'm using the USB connection.

500GB was all they had...

That temps fine.

Like I said, they wouldn't make the default factory temperature listed dangerous to the hard drive.

Has it got an internal heat senor or anything?

Anywhere where you can maybe attach a small fan to one of the grills?

Maybe its a good thing the case is hot...

It may be using the case as a massive heatpipe, transferring the heat using a passive method, to the outiside world.

Thats probably more the case. I bet you the hard drives humming away quite happily in there (Well...as happy as a hard drive can be, if a hard drive could be happy...)

If you could attach a fan blowing air outwards though somehow to one of the vents, that would sooth your worries, plus keep it a bit cooler, if the environment isn't doing the job its meant to.

Well, the side where you feel most air, is the side thats pushing out. So you want the side that pushes out facing away from the hard drive.

Usually the label side, is the side that blows out.

I do believe though, the case is doing a good job cooling the device.

Alot of products tend to use this method.

Even the Zalman case, which is a completley silent case, uses its whole entire metal body to get rid of the heat passively.

There is no air coming out... so I can't really feel it.

There is no label side either...

Okay, it's feeling really toasty at the moment... is there a way to find out hdd temperatures? I'm concerned as to how hot it's running... then again, I'm currently formatting it, so...

Back
Top Bottom