External HDD Woes

hiremenow

Solid State Member
Hey guys i have a Western Digital Passport external hard drive i plugged it into a Mac copied some files and now my PC recognizes it but it won't display it in my computer is there anyway that i can reformat it so that i can use it on my PC again anything would help at this point apps, cmd hints ANYTHING!!!!! YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW DESPERATE I AM AT THIS POINT!!!!!!

If you format it, you will lose the files !!! I am pretty sure that the differing file systems between Mac and PC will make it where you cannot switch the hard drive between the two. I think you are out of luck.

If you didn't format your passport when you got it then it should be in a FAT based file system which can be read by macs and pc's. I know if you format to NTFS a mac shouldn't be able to use it. I'm not sure why a PC wouldn't be able to get at it. Do you know what kind of file system the hard drive is in?

FOrmat it to FAT32...it's a universal format...like usb jump drives...that should work with mac...and pc...at...the...same.......time.........

does it show up in disk management (Control Panel\Administrative Tools\computer management) ?

Back
Top Bottom