external HDD problems all out of ideas

paintballpunk43

Baseband Member
I used to have a working 500gb external my book drive. At the moment its a paperweight. The HDD light on the front started flashing constantly and wouldn't be found in my computer. Which according to WD means (Transitioning to system standby or power down). Well I got tired of the drive not working as an external and I took it out of its enclosure and popped it into one of my 3.5in drive bays. The drive is the only IDE I have so I set its jumper to master and hooked it up (4 pin molex and IDE cable). Upon trying to start my computer after hooking it up it seems to short out. One of the Fan LEDS flashes on the fan then the comp goes dead. I then have to manually unplug the comp and plug it back in for the system to try to get it to turn on again with the same result. After installing the drive everything works great and I have a 500gb paperweight again. Any ideas fellas. The drive has a few images that need to be kept away from the wife. Hints external lol and I would like to format it before sending it in to western digital. So I'm thinking I'm going to try and install it on a different computer tomorrow and format.

plug it into a working pc via external, and see if partition magic picks it up

I just tried putting it back into its encloseure now the LEDS on the front won't even work. ehh I might be screwed

if WD is like seagate, they do a low-level format the moment a drive arrives for testing/replacement, that realigns everything thus deleting all data. So if you cannot get them off, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

+ rep points :)

called WD I'm waiting to hear back while they verify my proof of purchase (usually takes 1-2 days). Then I have to mail mine in and I should then be getting a new one back.

Thanks for the Rep.

I would be surprised if WD turned down the RMA. They are a pretty good company about that kinda thing. Once they get it, it shouldn't be long until you get a new one.

Back
Top Bottom