external hdd broke ... again

dude_se

Proper Legend
well WD replaced my old external hdd, and it worked fine for a few days, and the other morning it was making a really wierd loud noise, but it was still working fine. then the noise stopped and it also was working fine. i unplugged it (without safely remove hardware, but nothing was accessing the drive). now the pc wont reconise it, well, it knows somethings plugged in but wont show it. ive tried on different os's too. on the hdd it is making the normal sounds, except usually it makes a lot more noise when accessing the hdd (i think thats the problem), and usually the blue led light flashes to show hdd activity, but it barely does this. any ideas whats wrong? ive tried the freezer trick with no luck. dont rly want to replace yet another drive.

My dads old WD External drive broke, it was just corrupted..or something, anyways, WD gave him another replacement.

my WD external broke too, but i then took the HDD out of the case because i didnt have the warranty because i got it in China. Then i bought a new external enclosure and it works again.

What does your computer say when you plug it in?

the safely remove hardware icon comes up thats all. i click on it and it has usb mass storage > WD
so its obviously somewhat working. i ran the WD lifeguard software and it detects the drive, but shows as 0gb and wont run any checks. ive emailed them, but tbf i dont want to send it back yet again. its getting silly now.

Back
Top Bottom