External HD not getting drive letter

wol-va-rine said:
just a thought, have you tried taking it out of the enclosure and reseating it...? maybe it's loose or one end isn't in all the way (I have one also), that would explain the usb recognition, but the drive not being present...

Good idea, I'll bust the bad boy open and check it out

wol-va-rine said:
just a thought, have you tried taking it out of the enclosure and reseating it...? maybe it's loose or one end isn't in all the way (I have one also), that would explain the usb recognition, but the drive not being present...

well, there goes that idea, I tried it with mine and nothing happened until I seated the drive...

Thanks for trying that, saves me the time of opening it up.
Not that its all that hard :)

Ocelot said:
Thanks for trying that, saves me the time of opening it up.
Not that its all that hard :)

if you want harder, ;) , you could open up your computer and put it in as a slave and see if it gets recognized by the bios, and then see if will show up once you boot up...

Well I tried it in another computer.
Still no go.
Windows see the new hardware (disk drive), installs it, then says it ready to use.
But still no drive letter, and no way to access it (that I know of).

Dang drive just might be bad I guess, or something wrong with the external enclouser.

I was thinking of trying what you just said wol-va-rine.
Maybe when I'm bored :)

Thanks for all you help

hey i had the exact same problem. I took it out it made it a master. because plug and play will see right away. That so funny that we had the same problem!!

aerick said:
hey i had the exact same problem. I took it out it made it a master. because plug and play will see right away. That so funny that we had the same problem!!

Not following you aerick..
You set the jumper on the back of your drive to master?

If i remember correctly I originally had mine set to master and it didnt work at all.
After I set it to slave it worked, but just rececenlty I have my issues posted above.

Ocelot said:
Well I tried it in another computer.
Still no go.
Windows see the new hardware (disk drive), installs it, then says it ready to use.
But still no drive letter, and no way to access it (that I know of).

Dang drive just might be bad I guess, or something wrong with the external enclouser.

I was thinking of trying what you just said wol-va-rine.
Maybe when I'm bored :)

Thanks for all you help

Take the drive out of the closure, then put it back in, checking that all connections are secure..

If you can see it in disk Manager, right click on it and assign it a drive letter like I: or Y:. If you can't see it, the drive is most likely bad.

Back
Top Bottom