Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-14-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 377
Default External Harddrive strange

When reinstalling Windows I wad brought to a DOS looking s teen asking where I wanted to install Windows. One was he C drive and the other was partitioned D drive. I chose to detect he partitioned D Drive thinking at was a partition I created before. But it may have been my external hard drive. If it was the the external hard drive would not I get a warning message that he files were going to be deleted.

Anyway the computer does find the external drive because this is listed in the SYSTEM window. I do not have a drive letter for it under MY COMPUTER.

I am using Windows XP. This happens on both of my computers. Is here a way to fix this. The first time the hard drive was seen under MY COMPUTER. The only way to read the files from it was to right lick on it and choose explore.
__________________

OneMarcilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
In Runtime
 
Der-PC-Mann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: England
Posts: 278
Default Re: External Harddrive strange

I really don't understand your post. :| You lost me at "I chose to detect he partitioned D Drive".

Did you install Windows XP onto the D drive?

IDK if you know this, but if you go to Disk Management in Windows, you might find either an answer or the tools to find one. You can get there by:

Start Menu > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management

It's possible you erased your external HDD, but never created a primary partition on it, thus not being formatted, or giving it a drive letter within Windows; if this is the case, then the above Disk Management idea will allow you to remedy the problem, but unfortunately, if this is the case, you'll have lost your data, and you'll want to consider data recovery methods before doing anything.
__________________

__________________
My rig's specifications can be found here:
Yes, I'm New...
\m/
Der-PC-Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #3
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 377
Default

I did find some possible answers to get the external drive working again. Partition recovery might work.

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der-PC-Mann
I really don't understand your post. :| You lost me at "I chose to detect he partitioned D Drive".

Did you install Windows XP onto the D drive?

IDK if you know this, but if you go to Disk Management in Windows, you might find either an answer or the tools to find one. You can get there by:

Start Menu > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management

It's possible you erased your external HDD, but never created a primary partition on it, thus not being formatted, or giving it a drive letter within Windows; if this is the case, then the above Disk Management idea will allow you to remedy the problem, but unfortunately, if this is the case, you'll have lost your data, and you'll want to consider data recovery methods before doing anything.
The computer knows the hard drive is there but does not assign it a drive letter. The computer had C drive listed as partitioned for Windows then there was the partitioned D. I do not remember partitioning the external hard drive because I know that will erase everything on the drive.
OneMarcilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
In Runtime
 
Jake-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 219
Default Re: External Harddrive strange

Im Confused to? So when installing XP you installed it to your external Drive?

But you think it isnt working properly because it '' Doesn't '' have a Drive Letter?

If your booting from it then it is clearly working, just re install the OS on C:// Drive, transferring files over later, and then finally formatting the external to erase the Old XP.

Dont think i understand your problem, so use EASEUS and post a PrtScn.
__________________
Intel Core i5 2500K /-\ 32Gb 1600mhz RAM /-\ Asus P8Z68/GEN 3
2x 256Gb Crucial M4 /-\ Crossfire XFX HD Radeon 7950 Black DD
Sound blaster Z /-\ yourpcperfect.com /-\ Windows 7 Pro
Jake- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 377
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake-
Im Confused to? So when installing XP you installed it to your external Drive?

But you think it isnt working properly because it '' Doesn't '' have a Drive Letter?

If your booting from it then it is clearly working, just re install the OS on C:// Drive, transferring files over later, and then finally formatting the external to erase the Old XP.

Dont think i understand your problem, so use EASEUS and post a PrtScn.
No when I was first install g Windows I was brought to a screen to where I wanted to install. I chose partitioned D. Which after I chose that I changed my mind but erased the partitioned D. But, I noticed I decided to install Windows Professional on the dame computer 2 days ago and that D partition was still there without the external hard drive bring connected.
OneMarcilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #6
Fully Optimized
 
jmacavali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,867
Default Re: External Harddrive strange

Whoa man. You are going to struggle to find help with that English. You may want to try to find a forum in your natural language because it's nearly impossible to understand what you're saying.
__________________
****************************************
Don't take life too seriously -- no one gets out alive. Plus, who wants to arrive to the hereafter in pristine condition wearing a suit and tie?
I want to slide in sideways, worn out, used up, hair a mess, clothes tattered, & screaming, "Whooo! What a ride!"
****************************************
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
Fully Optimized
 
cboucher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,652
Default Re: External Harddrive strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacavali View Post
Whoa man. You are going to struggle to find help with that English. You may want to try to find a forum in your natural language because it's nearly impossible to understand what you're saying.
Perhaps it would be better if the OP posted his question in his native language. At least then we could copy/paste it into Google Translator and may have better luck understanding the question.
__________________
But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard... to be the Shepherd.
cboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 377
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboucher

Perhaps it would be better if the OP posted his question in his native language. At least then we could copy/paste it into Google Translator and may have better luck understanding the question.
I am writing this in English. By the the "his" is wrong just to correct "her" is proper here.
OneMarcilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
In Runtime
 
Der-PC-Mann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: England
Posts: 278
Default Re: External Harddrive strange

Honestly, I respect and applaud your use of English; I know how hard it is to use a second language in this much detail.

Unfortunately, I'm totally confused. Sorry I can't help.
__________________
My rig's specifications can be found here:
Yes, I'm New...
\m/
Der-PC-Mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:48 AM   #10
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 377
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der-PC-Mann
Honestly, I respect and applaud your use of English; I know how hard it is to use a second language in this much detail.

Unfortunately, I'm totally confused. Sorry I can't help.
Thank you. I did find an application that did locate the files but in order to save the files that is where I would need to pay 60.00

I want a free application that both finds and saves the files with no cost.
__________________

OneMarcilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0