External Hard drive problem, can anyone help?

mamacitanaz

Beta member
Hi, i was wondering if someone could shed some light on this, my external hard drive has been working perfectly, but over the last couple of days, it keeps connecting and disconnecting from my laptop, its driving me nuts cos when im using it, it disconnects and i lose what im doing, any ideas? btw its a new enclosure its in, i dont know if thats anything to do with it.

i noticed last night that the usb bit plugged into my laptop can move from side to side causing my hard drive to disconnect. Am i right in saying that this should not be moving when i try to shoogle it? is it the pins on the inside of the usb cable thats causing it to malfunction? if it needs replaced,can someone point me in the right direction as to where i can get a replacement cable? I have opened the enclosure of my hard drive and have checked for any loose connections which they weren't any, and there is plenty of power getting to it as it has its own power pack, so the cable is my last option. any ideas? thanks

Have you tried connecting it to another computer? If the problem still happens then you know its the HDD or the enclosure connections etc.

Also try another USB port to see if thats the problem, and another USB cable if you have one.

Back
Top Bottom