External hard drive enclosure

blacktop89

Baseband Member
So, here's the situation. I own a computer business. I'm looking to get a "test pc" so that when customer's bring in their virus infected pc's, I can hook their hard drive up as a slave on the "test pc" and scan for viruses. I've been looking at some cheap desktops because the only thing I will be using the pc for is for scanning hard drives.

Now, I've always wanted to have a laptop to carry around to customer sites because of the ease of diagnosing networking problems among other things. So that brings me to this. If I end up getting a laptop, could I just purchase an external hard drive enclsure so that I could still scan hard drives for viruses? I'm not familiar with how these things work. About all I know is that most of them connect to a PC via USB. Any help is much appreciated.

Yeah, it would work. Windows would just recognize it as another drive, and you could scan it no problem.

And you own a computer busines.... Just joking I know it's hard to keep up with everything out there - but with an external drive case it should be plug and go! Just a tip get one that can run while leaving it open so it's easier to swap the drives in and out and you don't have to go threw re-screwing each time. I modded my pc case our with a special shelf I stick drives on to test em so I don't have to go through rescrewing etc and it seems as if this would be a bit similiar.

Well, it looks as though I'll go with the laptop and external hard drive then! Thanks for all of your responses.

Back
Top Bottom