Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default External Hard Drive Bay

Hi there,

I have 4, soon to be 5 external Hard Drives. 4 are Western Digital, and the other is Maxtor. Anyway, I was looking for a way to keep them all together, like in a rack or bay or something. I found some, but I don't think it is for ones in cases. I'm handing and making things, so I was gonna just make one out of metal, with little shelves, like a tower. Does anyone know anything like this out there, or any suggestions. My HDs are in the cases. Is it okay/better to take them out, or leave them in. I'm just sick of dragging them all around every time I go home. (I'm a student, I'm about to graduate, so this would have helped 4 years ago, but I digress.) So what I'm looking for is a case, for my external HDs in cases. Any input would be very helpful. Thanks.

ChicleB76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Baseband Member

Default Re: External Hard Drive Bay

Why not just compile all the drives onto one big external drives? I know Best Buy sells some terabyte drives if you have that much data. Compile the drives onto that, then sell the other 5? Much easier for carrying around.

Make a compressed backup on your computer too!

RemoteTechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
Solid State Member

Here is the breakdown of my HDs. I need all 5:

WD 160GB (2GB free) - Music files
Maxtor 750GB (25GB free) - Time machine backups
WD 1 TB (Full) - Movie/TV show Files
WD 1.5 TB (200GB Free) - DAW files (pro tools, reason, logic), and video editing files (final cut)

I have 7GB of just snare drum loops for my music programs. I need a lot of space. I don't really have to carry them all around, since I'll be living at home, but it will just be neater and cleaner in my computer space if I have all of this together. And plus I'm board so I need a little project like this.
ChicleB76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicleB76 View Post
WD 1.5 TB (200GB Free) - DAW files (pro tools, reason, logic), and video editing files (final cut)

I have 7GB of just snare drum loops for my music programs. I need a lot of space. I don't really have to carry them all around, since I'll be living at home, but it will just be neater and cleaner in my computer space if I have all of this together. And plus I'm board so I need a little project like this.
You make music? Where can I hear it?

Anyways. I'd split up the file types. Keep audio/visual production separate from internet stuff. And then decide how much space your gonna need before you buy your next drive.

I'm currently looking into expanding hard drive size too. I have a lot of Mixdowns and RNS files from Reason 4 and Nuendo 4 bounced files and project audio together with 110GB worth of audio samples I really don't wanna loose.