Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default External hard disk drive?

First of all, hello everyone!

I have a Dell XPS laptop and use an 80 GB external hard drive for storage. I actually found a site that has the drive which can be found here:
Toshiba (MK8032GAX) 80 GB IDE Hard Drive Product Reviews and Price Comparison - Epinions.com

But I am running out of space and was thinking of buying a new drive, say at least 250 GB.

I checked with the local computer store and they had 320GB for CAD 72.00, which I found quite reasonable.

The only thing is I am not sure if I should get SATA or IDE, which the guy at the store asked me and I had no idea what the difference was. I think the one I have right now is IDE (it says on the site I posted above) but I don't know much more than that.

My main concern is speed, as I will be using the new one to store movies and it would be better if I could just watch the movies straight from the drive rather than having to copy it onto the pc because the speed is too slow.

Also, as I have a laptop, it would have to connect via a USB port, so I would need an enclosure (or hard drive box), which I am aware of!

So any advice on would be much appreciated

abc123kes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:19 AM   #2
In Runtime
Default Re: External hard disk drive?

Don't you already have an enclosure if you are using that hard drive as an external? If that is the case I would buy the 320 IDE and use the enclosure you already have.

If you don't have an enclosure for some reason, you might as well go with a new SATA enclosure and hard drive. I think SATA and IDE are both bottlenecked by usb so it might not matter speed-wise which one you go with.

Evga 680i SLI Mobo | C2d 6420 @ 3.2 | 2gb RAM | 9800gtx | Corsair 750w | Pioneer DVD Writer | 330gb | Antec 300
Ubuntu 9.04 | Windows 7

I miss my opty :c
Jk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:10 AM   #3
Daemon Poster
Default Re: External hard disk drive?

Have you checked out Newegg? You'll be able to find anything you're looking for there at great prices with customer reviews as well. That's the only place where I buy PC components and almost everyone here buys from Newegg.
Intel Quad 6600, Asus P5N-E SLI, GeForce GTX 560 1GB, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Zalman 9700NT, X-Fi Xtreme Gamer, 650 watt PSU
Szat is offline   Reply With Quote