extension for USB mouse ?

I'm not sure what was difficult to understand about my post.

If you have the cable, then you need this (note that THIS actually is a reputable brand that I've heard of. That other link that Vin gave may be a similar product, but I've NEVER heard of that company, and there's no brand for the product listed. If you look closer, there is a link JUST for it without the cable, but it does not come with the power adapter). And if there isn't enough "oomph" coming through for your USB connection, you'll need to add one (or two) of these.

I'm not sure what was difficult to understand about my post.

If you have the cable, then you need this (note that THIS actually is a reputable brand that I've heard of. That other link that Vin gave may be a similar product, but I've NEVER heard of that company, and there's no brand for the product listed. If you look closer, there is a link JUST for it without the cable, but it does not come with the power adapter). And if there isn't enough "oomph" coming through for your USB connection, you'll need to add one (or two) of these.

I do have the cable 150 ft rj45. The part im not understanding is the extented usb device...You see on that picture , the back of the local and remote extended devices where the usb cable connect , i take it when i get this device that usb cable on the back is not there right ? I guess what im saying is this ....1 end will connect to the computer and the other end will be able to connect to a usb mouse at a far distance ?

Let me diagram this.

Computer | USB Powered Hug (the Rosewill hub I linked to) | USB Extender | CAT5e Cable | USB Extender | *Possibly another USB Powered Hub | Mouse.

Note that having a hub on both sides may not be necessary, or necessary at all. It depends on how much of the signal is "lost in transit". You can try it with no powered USB hubs at first if you want..it's technically supposed to work without them, but sometimes that just isn't the case when you are right at that 150-160ft. threshold. I, would however, suggest one or two, because not only should it boost the signal, it'll provide more than one port on the mouse side. So this way, if your friend also wants to hook up a USB keyboard or a USB flash drive alongside with his mouse, he can!

Let me diagram this.

Computer | USB Powered Hug (the Rosewill hub I linked to) | USB Extender | CAT5e Cable | USB Extender | *Possibly another USB Powered Hub | Mouse.

Note that having a hub on both sides may not be necessary, or necessary at all. It depends on how much of the signal is "lost in transit". You can try it with no powered USB hubs at first if you want..it's technically supposed to work without them, but sometimes that just isn't the case when you are right at that 150-160ft. threshold. I, would however, suggest one or two, because not only should it boost the signal, it'll provide more than one port on the mouse side. So this way, if your friend also wants to hook up a USB keyboard or a USB flash drive alongside with his mouse, he can!

yes i see the light now ...Thank you Dude.

You are welcome. Just let me know if you have any other questions.

Like I said though, if there's a wireless connection and he has a laptop, using remote desktop is by FAR the cheapest, if the gas station would allow the software to be installed.

You are welcome. Just let me know if you have any other questions.

Like I said though, if there's a wireless connection and he has a laptop, using remote desktop is by FAR the cheapest, if the gas station would allow the software to be installed.

i have given you some wrong information dude.

My friend has a gas station...

RIght now he has DVR DEVICE that has usb ports and uses a regular usb mouse when he's right next to it ...

He wants a mouse connection about 150 feet away from the DVR , the 150 feet away is where he is actually sits which is near the CASH REGISTER . THere is no actual PC involved in this setup. He can see the dvr features with a monitor that sits right next to the cash register but while maintaining the cash register , he wants access to the DVR when he is right next to the cash register but this is only possible with a long usb mouse around 150 feet..
Will all these ideas still work from all the posters on this thread ?

Has he actually gone and measured this? 150 feet sounds a bit sketchy to me.

What Dude_56013 posted will work.

IDK about the hubs though. The DVR might not like them.

Has he actually gone and measured this? 150 feet sounds a bit sketchy to me.

What Dude_56013 posted will work.

IDK about the hubs though. The DVR might not like them.

well he hasnt measured it but he did give me the length is around 100 ft but we were trying to stay on the safe side with 150ft.

How will dude idea work without the hubs he mentioned ? So basically i should get everything else besides the hubs and it will work ?

Back
Top Bottom