extension for USB mouse ?

keegan

Solid State Member
My Friend has a computer that is 150 ft away from him but he can see the desktop because its connected to a 40 inch tv which is right next to him.. He works in a gas station store and the TV is right next to his register ...

He was wondering if he connect a 150ft USB mouse from the computer to where he sits....

Is there any device that can do this because i know there isnt a 150 ft usb MOUSE right ?

If it was no more than 160', he could theoretically use a CAT5e extender, but I believe they are pretty spendy. I'm assuming it's 2.0.

Here's the wiki:
USB 2.0 specification permits up to five USB hubs in a long chain of cables and hubs. This allows for a maximum distance of 30 metres (98 ft) between host and device, using six cables 5 metres (16 ft) long and five hubs. In actual use, since some USB devices have built-in cables for connecting to the hub, the maximum achievable distance is 25 metres (82 ft) + the length of the device's cable. For longer lengths, USB extenders that use CAT5 cable can increase the distance between USB devices up to 50 metres (160 ft).

A method of extending USB beyond 5 metres (16 ft) is by using low resistance cable.[citation needed] The higher cost of USB 2.0 Cat 5 extenders has urged some manufacturers to use other methods to extend USB, such as using built-in USB hubs, and custom low-resistance USB cable. It is important to note that devices which use more bus power, such as USB hard drives and USB scanners will require the use of a powered USB hub at the end of the extension, so that a constant connection will be achieved. If power and data does not have sufficient power then problems can result, such as no connection at all, or intermittent connections during use.[citation needed]

That's pretty nifty, Vin, but spendier than my plan. Haha.

Here's what you'd need for my plan:
One of these on both ends (most likely; you could try one to start and see).
One of these.
Your 100' run. Your 50' run. Your coupler. (Yes, unfortunately NewEgg doesn't have 150' Cat5e runs. You can search elsewhere though; I found this easily on google.).

So, anyway you look at it, you're looking to spend well over $100 (if you factor in shipping).

Here's one more alternative, but spendy. You'd still need the 150' cable.

Oh, and one more very cheap suggestion. Does your friend have a laptop or netbook? If this place has a wireless connection, he could easily use a remote desktop (such as LogMeIn) and control the computer hooked up to the TV. That'd be pretty simple, and if there's internet at all there, that'd definitely be the cheapest way to go (you can get a Wireless-N router for like $35-40 bucks).

My Friend has a computer that is 150 ft away from him but he can see the desktop because its connected to a 40 inch tv which is right next to him.. He works in a gas station store and the TV is right next to his register ...

He was wondering if he connect a 150ft USB mouse from the computer to where he sits....

Is there any device that can do this because i know there isnt a 150 ft usb MOUSE right ?

how is the computer 150 feet away but the tv is right next to him

how is the computer 150 feet away but the tv is right next to him

The TV is next to a register in the gas station and is somehow wired all the way to the computer . I havent seen it just yet but he asked me for a 150ft usb cable for his mouse.

It's only USB 1.1. Never heard of the company. Doesn't list a brand on the product. Doesn't list support for anything higher than XP...Page probably hasn't been updated. So $60 for the exact same thing I listed (Mine was a known brand and had free shipping) or $90 bucks for "bundle" in order to get the power adapter and cable. Sorry, but if it was me, I wouldn't order that. Seems way too sketchy.

Back
Top Bottom