Exploding power supply - Assistance required

DEccles

Baseband Member
So last night I was sitting at my computer when it suddenly emitted a loud crunching sound, and began smelling like burning electronics. The computer immidately powered down completely and wouldn't restart.

I was too tired to look into it at the time so I went to sleep. I sort of thought that it was my hard drive breaking or something. The next morning, however, the power supply still smelled burnt so I figured it was that instead.

I checked the hard drive and couldn't see and burn marks or hear any broken pieces within.

So, I went and bought a new power supply, but, after installation it still does not turn on at all. The motherboard light is on though.

Anyone have any ideas or thoughts? Thank you.

Oh, and the motherboard light wouldn't come on with the old power supply after it allegedy fried. And no fans or anything come on with either one.

thats weird. Your powersupply could have friend everything connected to it. But the chance of that is pretty low. What powersupply are you using now and what was your old one?

The old PS is an Enlight Corp. Model HPC-250-102. It's pretty old and gross. I'm not really suprised it fried (if that's the case). I recently upgraded most of my components and the PS was next on the list.

I bought a new tower/PS combo today and the PS included is an Antec SmartPower Model SP-350

Sounds like a motherboard to me. If no fans at all spin, that's usually not a good sign. Look at the capacitors on the board. Do any of them look "expanded" or "leaking"? If so, it's a safe bet that the motherboard is blown. If not, then only hook up the essentials, ie, processor, memory, video and try.

I can't see anything visibley wrong with the mobo, ie, burn marks, expanded or leaking capacitors, etc. I was hoping that if something else was fried that it would at least function enough to start up and give me some beep codes to work off of, but I'm not even getting that.

Ok, I also just tried hooking up the power switch and all the led connections from my old tower to my MoBo in case there was a problem with the ones in my new tower, but still nothing. I've long since run out of ideas. Getting a new MoBo wouldn't be the end of the world, but I don't want to waste the money unless I'm sure it's toast.

ok ok. SO you have tired the old PSU and no light.

Try the new PSU in the machine, but this time dont connect any drive's e.g. CD, HDD, floppy. Remove the RAM as well, check ram for any black burnt marks. Now connect the PSU only to the mainboard (should be 2 connections to the main board). Now try to turn on machine. Do you have a second pc? so you can test the new psu also. Let me know ok

Tried starting it up with no RAM, no HDD, floppy, CD-Rom, or video card. Only connections were the two main power connections to MoBo and the the power switch. Still nothing.

Back
Top Bottom