Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Explain the cooling plz.!

can some1 be kind enough to explain to me what a water cooler is for and how whats the setup? and also the CPU cooling and heatsinks is for? and whats the disadvantages and advantages of having either or? And im building my new comp and its gonna have an I7 proccessor with a GPU of gts 250. and 500gb of hardrive with 6gb ram. and i play lots of games for long periods of times. What kind of cooling would i neeD?

sina13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Explain the cooling plz.!

before anything else, i personally recommend this: http://www.google.com/products/catal...wBA#ps-sellers

coolers keep your PC cool, as simple as that. various different techniques are used by different devices. Water coolers circulate a supply of cooled water around the hotspots in your PC cooling them down. heatsinks and fans are the most commonly used devices, heatsinks obviously soak up and move the heat energy away from your CPU. Prettymuch everything in your PC gets hot, and most of it should be temperature regulated. Alot of gamer use abundances of fans, heatsinks and such devices, but most GPUs have their own cooling systems and usually a few fans will suffice.

hope i helped.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Water cooled PC's use liquid to cool critical components instead of air. Instead of big heatsinks, massive fans and heat-pipes you will have water blocks attached to CPU/GPU/Chipset/RAM all connected together with piping. In the loop you will have a pump, radiator and reservoir. Some all-in-one water coolers are sealed and therefore won't have the reservoir. The radiator will have air flowing through it using a fan - this is where the water is cooled before going round the loop again.

Water cooling can be very expensive but the benefits are simple. Water conducts heat 25 times better than air and because you only need fans for the radiator it can be quieter than cooling the same rig with air.

Liquid is great for an overclocked rig and usually you would cool the OC'd components.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sina13 View Post
can some1 be kind enough to explain to me what a water cooler is for and how whats the setup? and also the CPU cooling and heatsinks is for? and whats the disadvantages and advantages of having either or? And im building my new comp and its gonna have an I7 proccessor with a GPU of gts 250. and 500gb of hardrive with 6gb ram. and i play lots of games for long periods of times. What kind of cooling would i neeD?
I don't think you would need a watercooling system unless you plan to really overclock your cpu and video card, then play games for long periods of time. The stock coolers for your cpu and graphics card should be just fine, and make sure that you have at least 1 intake and 1 exhaust fan in your case.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

my friend, hardcore gamer, self-built system, just uses about 9 fans, as an easy alternative to watercooling.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs

Advantages:

-Lower temperatures than high-end air with good enough setup
-Easily expandable: Cool CPU, GPU, north bridge, and voltage regulators in one loop

Disadvantages:

-Can be very expensive. At minimum, a good loop will cost around $200 at the lowest
-Takes more time to set up than a CPU heatsink
-Risk of leak

Liquid cooling can be quieter or louder than air depending on what kind of fans, how many of them, what kind of pump, and how you mount the pump.

Do you need liquid cooling? From a practical standpoint, no. Does everyone mod their computers with practicality in mind? No. Only you can decide if you want liquid cooling or not. Just be aware that there is a lot more research involved when going the water way.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:31 AM   #7
BSOD

A liquid-cooling system for a PC works a lot like the cooling system of a car. Both take advantage of a basic principle of thermodynamics - that heat moves from warmer objects to cooler objects. As the cooler object gets warmer, the warmer object gets cooler. You can experience this principle firsthand by putting your hand flat on a cool spot on your desk for several seconds. When you lift your hand, your palm will be a little cooler, and the spot where your hand was will be a little warmer.

JohnRocks is offline   Reply With Quote