Even the best buy's geek squad doesen't know

darkserpant

In Runtime
My dad just bought a HP M8300f media center desktop. He wants to connect this desktop to his HD TV. His HDMI input onthe tv is being used and would like to connect it with componet cables. This pc does have the componet jacks on the front of it. This morning he actually took the pc back to best buy so they could tell him how to connect the pc to his tv. He would like to play a dvd in his pc and be able to see it on his tv and also the vodeos he has stored on his pc he would like to watch them on his tv. The geek squad had no idea on how to do this. This is the reason he purchased this media center. He has read the manual but he says it is way above his understanding. So I am hoping you guys can help him out. His tv is a Sony KDF-50we655 Thanks

Ouch I would never recommend getting a TV with only 1 HDMI. Mine has 3 and there all currently filled. I guess the geek squad has never heard of a HDMI switch which allows you to basically turn 1 HDMI input into many. Here is a link to a 5 port HDMI switch for $139.99.

I'm not sure how many HDMI inputs you need. With the labtop that would be 2. But what if you want to add a blu ray player or other gaming systems. I just did a quick google search and came up with the first one to show you what you want. Look around on lots of sites and I'm willing to bet you can find one cheaper. BTW I also hope he didn't buy expensive HDMI cables as the cable either transmits the signal or it doesn't. Buy the cheapest cables you can find that are 1.3 compliant. I'd only recommend getting a decent brand if you need one longer than 18 feet long.

http://www.amazon.com/5-port-HDMI-switch-Remote-Control/dp/B000FHQMFK

So what you guys are saying all I have to do is hook up a s-video cable from the pc to tv and what ever shows up on the monitor screen should be on the tv? Do I have to go into any of the settings on the pc to make this work or just hook the cable and go. Thanks

by component you probably mean RCA outputs on the PC right? Component cables are the digital ones coloured red, blue and green. RCA is coloured white, red and yellow. If the PC has RCA you can connect it to the TV using RCA cables (and the TV should have RCA inputs on it too).

by component you probably mean RCA outputs on the PC right? Component cables are the digital ones coloured red, blue and green. RCA is coloured white, red and yellow. If the PC has RCA you can connect it to the TV using RCA cables (and the TV should have RCA inputs on it too).

Composite is far worse than S-Video though. Composite ( white, red and yellow) can only output 480P.

No the front of the pc has blue,green and I think it's red. They are supposed to be as good as hdmi. That is what I would like to use. But I want to know if all I have to do is just connect them and that's it or do I have to set it up through the pc to make the signal go through the cables. Then again aren't the blue green and red cables just for video. I will still need the red and white(rca's) to get the audio to right?

Correct. The component green, red and blue cables only carry video. You will need to run a separate cable for sound.

There should be settings in the video control panel for setting up the component outputs on the computer.

Back
Top Bottom