Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Default Ethernet in two rooms

So, two desktops, each in a different room (one downstairs, one directly upstairs). How to connect both with ethernet?
The one downstairs is using the ethernet from the modem, and the upstair PC is using WiFi with the same modem.
I was thinking of drilling a whole between the floor, but that might be kind of difficult, and I don't know how to do it.

Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
Baseband Member

Default Re: Ethernet in two rooms

you can get these plug sockets. you plug one into the wall near the router and connect an ethernet cable, another upstairs near the pc and run ethernt cable between the plug and computer and gives networking throughout the house using the electrical lines

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/8284334/Devolo-dLAN-duo-HomePlug-Ethernet-USB-Network-Adaptor/Product.html?&_$ja=tsid:11518|cc:|prd:8284334|cat: Networking

used them before i moved into a flat. pretty decent and saves drilling holes in the floor and having cables running up your walls.

reeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

How well does that perform? If it's the same/worse than wireless, then it's not worth it.
I'm trying to increase the connection for online gaming BTW.
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Old 04-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
Omnicide now.

The ping will be faster, but the connection speed of wirelessN seems to be better. Have you considered running cat 5 cables through the wall or tapping a coaxial line?
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:51 AM   #5
Daemon Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to disturbed13

the power adapter (ping i guess) also costs ~100USD
i would rather use an exhisting cable and see if you cant pull it back to the other room with a string on the end
then use the string to pull both the ethernet and the other cable thru the wall

but that might not be possible
<iframe src="http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/getDynamicImage.do?memberName=disturbed13&mnOn=tru e&stat=1&imageNum=4&rankOn=false&projectsOn=false& special=false" frameborder="0" name="di" scrolling="no" width="125px" height="176px"></iframe>
disturbed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:30 AM   #6
BSOD

Hi,
By far, the simplest, easiest, and cheapest connection between two PCs is through a Category 5 Ethernet crossover cable. If you’re using Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Vista, it’s virtually automatic. In summary: You turn both PCs off, connect the crossover cable between the Ethernet port on one PC and the Ethernet port on the other, and then turn them on and boot up. In a couple of minutes, you should be connected. That’s all it takes!
Thanks
alexcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Depending on how your house is laid out, you might be able to use the cold air return vents and litterally just drop the wire down one floor thru the vents.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
Omnicide now.

Lol it isn't that hard to run the wires through the wall, it just takes some time. You'll end up with something that looks much cleaner.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #9
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
Depending on how your house is laid out, you might be able to use the cold air return vents and litterally just drop the wire down one floor thru the vents.
Don't really have a vent except the one for the heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
Lol it isn't that hard to run the wires through the wall, it just takes some time. You'll end up with something that looks much cleaner.
Doesn't that require me to make a hole in the wall?
Old 04-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
Omnicide now.

Yes, but you install faceplates over it so it looks nice.