Ethernet question

Juice1

Fully Optimized
my mobo has onboard ethernet and i was wondering if i put in a ethernet card and hook it up to the wireless ethernet hub thing will it be any faster like those mobos that have 2 onboard ethernets?

so it would be connected by onboard and pci card at same time. would it be faster?

I belive you needs special software to "team" them to make it faster. I know i did for my board which has two onboard Ethernet ports on it. If i simply had the two wires in without the teaming option, i got no boost.

Start/control panel/network connections/right click local area connection/bridge connections.

Assuming windows XP/2000

but theres no point in teaming 2 100Mb/s network cards when you internet is probably not higher than 5-6Mb/s

Can I ask why you are wanting to do this? As Borat said, you'll get no performace gain if it's for only interent access.

Same with the router, has it an integrated hub or switch? if a hub, you'll get no performance gain. Please bear in mind that any other computers that you'd want to get a theoritical 200MB/s tranfer rate would also need to be doubly hooked up.

Very very little point in it. You'd need the software, the network configuration and not only that, but the efficiency of it will not double anything bar perhaps latency times - which is a bad thing.

Just checked your screen shots. the download speed is only 3% faster and have you noticed your uploading speed is slower. I think we can blame these differences on random error rather than using 2 ethernet connections - due to the tiny downloading speed gain and the uploading speed loss that simply shouldn't be there should it be the dual connection that's affecting it.

My results on speedtest.net varied wildly.

Also, just to prevent misleading the guy, celegorm ment 100KB, not 100MB.

Do this multiple times and I'm sure you'll not notice that huge a difference.

How a test between 100MB/s and a 200MB/s connections makes a difference on a 5MB connection to the internet is pretty weird in IMHO. A chain is only a strong as it's weakest link, as they say. In the same way as a Net connection is only as fast as it's slowest connection, in this case the one directly to the net. However, if your results are indeed different because of the dual ethernet connection it'd be interesting to look into.

If I were you juiceranch9, I'd not bother with the hassle unless you desperatly need a uber fast connection to another PC within your network, provided you kitted it out with a dual connection too. If it was that important however, what about setting up a 1GB/s network instead?

um yea its a wireless router and sometimes when people connect to wireless it lowers my ping and yea i play games and im getting around like 60 ping and i want to try and make it a lil lower

also while im here anyone know how to make those tags for clans in games? like with the weird fonts and sizes and stuf? i play counterstrike source.

Just checked your screen shots. the download speed is only 3% faster and have you noticed your uploading speed is slower. I think we can blame these differences on random error rather than using 2 ethernet connections - due to the tiny downloading speed gain and the uploading speed loss that simply shouldn't be there should it be the dual connection that's affecting it.

My results on speedtest.net varied wildly.

Also, just to prevent misleading the guy, celegorm ment 100KB, not 100MB.

Do this multiple times and I'm sure you'll not notice that huge a difference.

How a test between 100MB/s and a 200MB/s connections makes a difference on a 5MB connection to the internet is pretty weird in IMHO. A chain is only a strong as it's weakest link, as they say. In the same way as a Net connection is only as fast as it's slowest connection, in this case the one directly to the net. However, if your results are indeed different because of the dual ethernet connection it'd be interesting to look into.

If I were you juiceranch9, I'd not bother with the hassle unless you desperatly need a uber fast connection to another PC within your network, provided you kitted it out with a dual connection too. If it was that important however, what about setting up a 1GB/s network instead?

when i had wireless (54mb/s) i got ~200 ping so i used ethernet (100mb/s) and i get ~60 but its still a little high imo

idk that doesnt really make sense it should have onmy gone down like 75 m/s. i have 768kb/s verizon dsl.

umm yeah, i meant KB, not MB thanks for clearin that up. Although i don' think it was random error that got that. Like i said the post I re-did every test three times. all results were teh same.

Back
Top Bottom