Ethernet Problems

athleticboy17

Baseband Member
Sorry again. I'm still having ethernet problems on my computer and I have all the drivers installed for the port. The connection says that there is little to no connection to the network. When I unplug the cable it notices it is unplugged. So I know it knows it's in there. I've turned off my firewall for my computer, still no success. I've repaired the connection, but it fails everytime at that. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for the help in advance

go to firefox. (or ie. if you use it nothing will be differant, i just think ie is evil.)
in the address bar type 192.168.2.1
it should bing up a configuration page for your router or modem.
when you have done that take a screenshot by pressing the printscreen key on your keyboard. upload it to an image sharing site and then post it here so i can see what it looks like so I can help you

Use the MSN messenger repair button.
Alternatively, go start>Run>Cmd type in ipconfig /release hit enter, then ipconfig /renew hit enter.
If that doesn't work, unplug the router and modem for 30 seconds(You can count really fast).

Do you have DHCP running on your router? If the router isn't assigning IP addresses, that usually leads to those issues. Do this:

1. Click Start, then Run.
  2. Type 'cmd' (without the quotes) and hit enter.
  3. A DOS prompt should show. Type 'ipconfig /all' (again without the quotes exactly as typed)
Note the IP address. If it starts with 169.254.x.x, your computer is not receiving an IP address from the router. If it starts with something like 192.168.x.x, then DHCP is working, and you will have to look at other settings. Post back and tell us what you find.

Hmm, lets start with a basic question here guys, how is your internet hooked up, and what kind do you have?

Do you have Road Runner, a form of DSL, FIOS or something else?

Are you going through a router, High-speed Modem (for DSL or Cable), or a usb adapter? Details on the maker, and model of this would help a lot.

Also, have you tried a new network cable?

Hmm, lets start with a basic question here guys, how is your internet hooked up, and what kind do you have?

Do you have Road Runner, a form of DSL, FIOS or something else?

Are you going through a router, High-speed Modem (for DSL or Cable), or a usb adapter? Details on the maker, and model of this would help a lot.

Also, have you tried a new network cable?

Im running it through a High speed modem. Thing is, it works on the computer I'm using right now, but not on my new computer. It's a comcast modem, made by motorola.

I just don't understand why it works on one computer but not the other

Try switching the network cables that connect the computer to the modem, see if that helps.

Also make sure that you have run an anti-virus scan recently.

Back
Top Bottom