ethernet ports on Surge Protectors

Churla27

Baseband Member
I just built my own computer and got a surge protector. I noticed ethernet ports on it and I was wondering what they are for. Power over ethernet?

It's simply a "pass-through". Just like the electricity goes from the wall, into the strip, then into your computer.

You would have the ethernet go from the modem, through the strip, into your computer. If you have a router, it would go from the router, into the strip, then into your computer.

It it there so that if the modem (phone or cable line) would get hit by lightning and it would pass into the router, it would at least save the computer (in theory of course). Personally I've never used it.

Also, ist it ethernet for sure? Some have phone line size plugs (I think they are called RJ-11 where an ethernet is an RJ-45).

Like others have said, they're there to filter a power surge in your ethernet cable. Ethernet cables themselves don't really carry much power, but they are still susceptible to power surges.

It's simply a "pass-through". Just like the electricity goes from the wall, into the strip, then into your computer.

You would have the ethernet go from the modem, through the strip, into your computer. If you have a router, it would go from the router, into the strip, then into your computer.

It it there so that if the modem (phone or cable line) would get hit by lightning and it would pass into the router, it would at least save the computer (in theory of course). Personally I've never used it.

Also, ist it ethernet for sure? Some have phone line size plugs (I think they are called RJ-11 where an ethernet is an RJ-45).

I have seen both, but yes, the RJ-11 type is more prevalent.

I had a friend whose laptop was taken out by a lightning-strike over the phone-line.

Back
Top Bottom