Errors: 42127, 42144 +other issues

BiG

Solid State Member
Ok I've had this laptop (Dell Inspiron 1545) for almost if not 2 years. The few things Ive done to this thing is downloaded the windows 8 IE, downloaded Avast and I had to do a factory reset about 2 months ago....just to give you an idea of whats been done on this Laptop.

I'm getting these File C: Errors ...2 of them are 42127 {CAB archive is corrupted} with 2 different locations...1st being something about UpgradeHelper\Realplayer (I dont want to type out the whole line unless need be), the 2nd being something about Microsoft.Visualbasic.Activities.Compiler. The next Error 42144 {OLE archive is currupted} this location says something about Windows\installer. All of these errors come up when I do a boot scan with Avast.

The laptop will freeze on screen programs like taskbars, IE's and what not but my cursor moves around freely. Thats when I have to use power button to turn it off then turn it back on. I'm curious as to if anyone else has this issue and how do I fix it? ...Many thanks in advance!

Ok I've had this laptop (Dell Inspiron 1545) for almost if not 2 years. The few things Ive done to this thing is downloaded the windows 8 IE, downloaded Avast and I had to do a factory reset about 2 months ago....just to give you an idea of whats been done on this Laptop.

I'm getting these File C: Errors ...2 of them are 42127 {CAB archive is corrupted} with 2 different locations...1st being something about UpgradeHelper\Realplayer (I dont want to type out the whole line unless need be), the 2nd being something about Microsoft.Visualbasic.Activities.Compiler. The next Error 42144 {OLE archive is currupted} this location says something about Windows\installer. All of these errors come up when I do a boot scan with Avast.

The laptop will freeze on screen programs like taskbars, IE's and what not but my cursor moves around freely. Thats when I have to use power button to turn it off then turn it back on. I'm curious as to if anyone else has this issue and how do I fix it? ...Many thanks in advance!

Another thing I just remembered, when I shut it down...there's ALWAYS a "update" every time I shut down...or try to shut down. Apparently it never finishes or something because its been like that for the past couple months and if I dont manually shut it down it will stay on trying to update while its trying to shut down. If I forget to manually shut it down it will still be on trying to update when I open it hours later. It will still be trying to update THEN shuts down when I'm trying to use it then I have to manually turn it on like I would normally. I hope this helps to find a solution to these problems. Thanks again!

What OS and what service pack for that OS?
Avast can't open a packed file to scan it so it says it's corrupted. Google this >
error 42127
Pick this > 42127 avast
Interesting read.
I maintain the hotel's guest computer in the lobby and only use Stinger or ComboFix. They are not full time/real time scanners but if either one picks up on a bug it will not bother to ask you what you want to do. It just stomps the s**t out of the infection and moves on. If you use either one or both, disable any real time protection you have running THEN run these one at a time. Make double dang sure you have disabled any network/internet connections before you run these.
Reboot and re-enable your connections.
If these programs don't find anything worth letting you know about there was nothing there to start with and avast is giving you a false postive.
Stinger > How to Use Stinger | McAfee Free Tools
ComboFix > Bleeping Computer Downloads: ComboFix Download

Since you are posting in two sections of the forum and do not know if it is software or hardware here is an answer for you.

Do a system restore or Factory restore and start over again.

What OS and what service pack for that OS?
Avast can't open a packed file to scan it so it says it's corrupted. Google this >
error 42127
Pick this > 42127 avast
Interesting read.
I maintain the hotel's guest computer in the lobby and only use Stinger or ComboFix. They are not full time/real time scanners but if either one picks up on a bug it will not bother to ask you what you want to do. It just stomps the s**t out of the infection and moves on. If you use either one or both, disable any real time protection you have running THEN run these one at a time. Make double dang sure you have disabled any network/internet connections before you run these.
Reboot and re-enable your connections.
If these programs don't find anything worth letting you know about there was nothing there to start with and avast is giving you a false postive.
Stinger > How to Use Stinger | McAfee Free Tools
ComboFix > Bleeping Computer Downloads: ComboFix Download

I have Windows 7 Home Premium with service pack 1. I read a little about the avast issues but it never gave me issues till the last few months and I have had avast for.....about a year maybe. Thats why I was thinking it was something that slowly krept up from either the avast or from something else. I wasnt sure if it was a single problem or a combination of multiple problems through the whole system.......if I'm making any sense. I think I may need to find another program other then avast BTW thanks!

Since you are posting in two sections of the forum and do not know if it is software or hardware here is an answer for you.

Do a system restore or Factory restore and start over again.

I've already done that....and it didnt do anything different. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom