Error, Stop 0x000000C2

xTRIxEDGEx

Baseband Member
So, after installing a new fan and a stick of RAM, and leaving my computer on for the whole night i awake to find that i bluescreened with the error 0x000000C2. Not entirely sure what this means, anyone have any info on it?

The fact you installed a new stick of RAM worries me slightly.

Is it of the same spec/model as the other RAM modules in your system at the moment?

That won't cause a massive problem, or at least shouldn't, but compatabilities very important for stability, and if for example you are running 2 different makes, that may have 2 different sets of timings; this could cause some problems for the system.

If the RAM module is the same as the rest however, then you could have got DOA (dead on arrival) RAM, and may need to be sent back.

There are checks you can do to test it though, so report back :)

Ah, I'll tell you now:

Go here, and download RAM Probe:
http://www.ramprobe.com/?p=download

Here, download the ISO, and then write this as an Image file in for example Nero, or any other burning software you may have onto a standard CD-R disc.

Restart the computer, with the BIOS set to run from the DVD drive first, and let the program perform the tests on the RAM.

It may be best to take the other 2GB's out, leaving the new one in, and let it run. If it finds any problems, you know right away there is an issue.

Well there is a slight problem regarding the ram. They arent the same model but they both run at 800Mhz, but XP only recognizes 2 out of the 3. I have 1 2GB stick, and 2 512 MB sticks. I would do that program, but i have no blank CD's at the moment.

So, Windows doesn't see 3GB's installed?

Theres a possbility the RAM isn't even functioning in that case...

Have you tried placing it in another slot on the motherboard?

Because they are not the same model they most likely have different timings, which may, but shouldn't cause instabilities. What you'll find is, that the slowest module of RAM will tell the speed of the others.

So you may have the fastest RAM installed, but if you have a slow stick installed too alongside, the fast RAM will slow down to accomodate the other.

I was thinking of switching them into different slots, which i will try after dinner. But they both look like there running the seam speed but ill check again and report.

Back
Top Bottom