Enough Power?

yes.

if you got a good quality 500w psu, you can power an q6600, 8800GT sli, 1 dvd burner, 3 sata hdd, sound card, wireless card, and should have a few wattage left, though there might not be that much amps.

you can google extreme psu calculator, and select the free version to see how much wattage you need.

Couple of things to look for is amps on the 12 volt rail and the efficiency rating. Try to stay around 18 to 20 minimum for the 12 volt rails. If you get a PSU with more than one 12 volt rail make sure all of them are in the same range.
The efficiency rating is how much of the power going in to the PSU is coming out the other side. 80 to 85 percent is good. You'll never see 100%. Some power gets dissipated as heat in the AC to DC conversion process.

One other thing you seriously want to consider is modular connections. If you use a non modular PSU and you don't need a wire, you have to figure how how to hide it. With modular, if you don't need it just don't connect it to the PSU.
I have an Antec Neo 550 watt (http://www.antec.com/ec/productDetails.php?ProdID=05550#) and a Aero Cool 620 watt ( http://www.cluboc.net/reviews/power/aero_cool/zerodba_620/index.htm) in my two desk rigs. They both ran slightly over 100 dollars US each. I've had zero, zip, nada trouble out of either one. Both are coming up on roughly a year old. I have more power than I needed at the time but that was for future expansion.
Shop carefully.

Thanks for the help Guys.

Couple of things to look for is amps on the 12 volt rail and the efficiency rating. Try to stay around 18 to 20 minimum for the 12 volt rails. If you get a PSU with more than one 12 volt rail make sure all of them are in the same range.

So is this good? The 12V are at 18A.

+3.3V@30A,+5V@30A,+12V1@18A,+12V2@18A,-12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.5A

It would work but remember I said 18 to 20 minimum. You need to allow for add-ons in the future. Keep looking. It would be helpful to know how much you're willing to spend on a PSU.

i thought that you cant add amps that way, when adding the amps like that, it was only a rough estimate and its usually lower.
I found this one guide that teaches you how to add the total amps of a psu, i read it and never understood it, so i just went with that way to add amps, but i wouldnt think that the psu will come up with 36A.

Back
Top Bottom