En8800GT overclock like the TOP version

thomas49th

In Runtime
Hi I bought a ASUS EN8800GT a couple of years back. There is a TOP version (Top Overclocking Performance), which is basically the same card factory overclocked.

I have never OC'd my card, but the newer games are giving me definite fps problems. I was wondering if anyone thinks it's possible with its stock cooler to reach the TOP clock speeds (700mhz core, 1750 shader, 2000 memory). The TOP and the normal look the same (though some do come with the COH packaging)

The card is PCIe 2.0, but my motherboard only appears to be 1.0 (it's a Asrock PENRYN1600SLI-110DB 650i Sli Socket 775 Motherboard), am I getting the most out of the card - if I had a 2.0 socket would my fps increase?

Thanks
Thomas

You are most likely losing performance with x16 1.0.

As far as overclocking the standard card, sure go for it. The TOP is already being underclocked to match the slower card, so whatever you clock the slow one to, the TOP will increase to as well.

BTW, can you tell if the pcb layouts are the same? It may be possible to simply flash the standard one to a TOP.

You are most likely losing performance with x16 1.0.

As far as overclocking the standard card, sure go for it. The TOP is already being underclocked to match the slower card, so whatever you clock the slow one to, the TOP will increase to as well.

BTW, can you tell if the pcb layouts are the same? It may be possible to simply flash the standard one to a TOP.

I really really doubt that. My GTS250 is just as fast in my new board (2.0) as it is in my old motherboard (1.0).

Also, he hasn't purchased another card from what I understand.

But yeah, you should be fine overclocking it. Just make sure it's stable and within safe temps ;-)

I really really doubt that. My GTS250 is just as fast in my new board (2.0) as it is in my old motherboard (1.0).

Also, he hasn't purchased another card from what I understand.

But yeah, you should be fine overclocking it. Just make sure it's stable and within safe temps ;-)

Oh. I misread his post and took that he had the TOP version and the regular one.

It should not be too hard to find a TOP vBIOS to flash it. I believe that these cards are identical PCB layout, so you could effectively turn it into a TOP.

Back
Top Bottom