eathernet card, no address

scole90

Baseband Member
after having a virus removed from my computer, now i cant use the internet because my eatherner card has no adapter address or ip address, how do i get them?

eatherner card? Hehe ;P And an IP address and address are commonly the same thing unless you're talking about the MAC address, which your card better not of lost! o_O They are kinda hard wired into the cards...

Anyway, are you using a router or just directly into the modem? If it's a router setup, go to network proporties and make sure you're set to DHCP. Then, go to the command prompt (RUN, then CMD) and type ipconfig /renew. That SHOULD pick up a new address for your comp.

Now if you're directly connected to the modem, most likely you'll ahve to talk with your ISP to get the correct settings and re-enter them into your network proporties. Or sometimes they give you a sheet with all the info. You should have an IP address, gateway, and DNS.

CLic Start>RUN type command and at the end of the prompt type ipconfig/all you should get your IP address there.
But from what I read, you can easily retreive a new IP address by disconnecting your modem from your computer, powering it down and wait ~1 min and then start it back up. Then try going on the internet, you should have a ""detecting proxy setting"" and you should be back on-line.

Just a few notes...disconnecting you modem WON'T get a new IP adress assuming his problem is communication with his computer. Most IP address today are static and assigned, so you need to know it and enter it manually... As for decting proxy settings, I've actually never seen a modem that acutally uses proxy today. Most of them are just a direct net connection, so actually disabling the auto detection of proxy servers will speed up the connection...

Well actually I have a cable modem and that's the way its' done, and form people I know who use PPPoe (ADSL), its' the same method.
I have been away from the 56K modem for such a while that I forgot about inserting it manually or even tought scole90 have a 56k since there are no mention about the type of connection.

All I've worked with used standard networking stuff. Realize with a proxy, you must set up EVERYTHING that gets on the network. So if you only have IE set up for the proxy, but not...say...AIM, and it works, then you're not on a proxy.

I doubt he uses a 56K unless he's sharing the connection, seeing as he does mention an ethernet card. Besides, dial up modems don't use proxies either. All I've seen have been dynamic IP, yatta yatta :p

Yes, your right about the ethernet card, but for my sake being on a LAN I don't have to worry about the IP address or MAC address (it's cloned in my router) and am using DHCP.

Yup...I think every router uses DHCP now(which is why I mentioned it, releasing it and all) Some modems even have DHCP in them... Regardless, I still have better luck entering my IP address manually. To each their own, as sometimes this can get complicated.

Back
Top Bottom