Hello all, I received fellow CF user EC's laptop for repair tonight. So I decided to make an active blog about it.
The complaint is the laptop keeps shutting down on it's own. I suspect an overheating problem maybe perhaps a bad fan.
HP Pavilion DV9000 running Windows 7 Ultimate.
We begin... now!
1) Wiped down the laptop since it was dirty.
Turned on the laptop. Boots up and logins just fine except for it taking 45 seconds to POST. Goes into stanby and turns on just fine. I went ahead and poked around inside, reseated the RAM and started the computer up. Oh noes! Now it doesn't POST.
2) Laptop still won't POST. Removed the hard-drives and booted up UBCD. Doing a memory test
3) Experiencing random shutdowns during memory test. I'm running it again while monitoring it a little more closely. If I have to, I might just pull one one stick of RAM and test them individually.
Click image for photo album.
4) Memory seems to be ok. Still doing random shutdowns. I'm going to try to see if it's overheating by monitoring the CPU temperature.
5) Memory is good. Hard drives are good. The issue lies somewhere between the motherboard, CPU, and the Nvidia graphics.
Anyone have any ideas why it constantly does random restarts. It's being very sporadic and may or may not be a cooling issue. The fan works just fine. I've opened it up so I can poke around a bit but I'm not going to go all the way. I think I'll put it back together and see from there.