E6850 or Q6600?

FuzzyFurby23

Solid State Member
Hey! I'm trying to decide on which processor I want. I've looked at charts for both and lots of reviews and its still hard to decide! The Q6600 is a quad core, and the E6850 is Core 2 Duo. I know either will really improve my FPS on age of conan. Currently running a Pent D 930 / 8800GT / 2 gigs. These are the only 2 I can run on this mobo that are good, and extreme is too expensive, just need something to hold me over for a few months. Anyways here are both of them, if someone could tell me which they think would really benefit me more (basically for gaming) I'd appreciate it thanks! =P

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115017

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115028

For gaming you would want the C2D because most games are single threaded still (meaning they can't take advantage of all 4 cores) but I would consider the new 45nm E8400 for $195. I'm just now throwing a new system together and that's what I'm going with. Basically right now, until more software apps take advantage of 4 cores, you'd only want the Q6600 for encoding music and movies and heavy multitasking. C2D's in my opinion are your best bet for gaming.

Yah i would LOVE the 8400 or 8500 but my mobo is an old nf51 and cant handle it =(. And yah I think you're right I"ll probably just roll the e6850, its more than good enough till I get more money to build another comp.

For straight up gaming at stock speeds, the E6850. One question though - are you planning on overclocking? If so, definitely go with the Q6600. You can easily overclock it to 3 GHz+. Much more future proof that way.

I just figured he said that he was short on money so the E6850 would work fine. It's 30 bucks cheaper on newegg than the Q6600.

I have a Asus P5n-e 650i sli mobo, and a e6700 chip if you want to buy it. If your interested, let me know, I can send you pics and set up arrangements. $120 and it's both yours

Back
Top Bottom